Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Nerd to the Extreme: 2020 Book Breakdown

This might be my last 'year in review' post for 2020. I'm exhausted! {grin} It's a lot of fun looking back at the year, but it can take a lot of time to put everything together!

Total Book Goal: 100
Total Books Read: 102

Physical books: 18
eBooks: 84

Fiction: 72
Non-fiction: 30

Genres [I determined the genres myself and gave some books more than 1]:
  • Chick-lit: 28
  • Romance: 2 {to be fair, I think a lot of my chick lit falls here too ha}
  • Classic/Children's classic: 2 
  • Biography/Memoir: 17
  • Culture/Gender: 3
  • YA: 7
  • Fantasy/Sci-fi: 7
  • Thriller/Mystery: 9
  • Historical fiction: 12
  • WW1/WW2 {subset of historical fiction}: 6
  • Race/Antiracism: 8
  • Pop Culture: 2
  • Investigative Reporting: 2
I think it's obvious what my favorite types of books are, but also I might need to figure out how to break my chick-lit books down a little better too? Ha!

I most definitely had some favorites this year {I shared my top 2 in my overall year-end post}, but I can't leave it with just 2 favorites! So here are some others that make my Favorites list for 2020! And it's a wide variety of styles, so surely there's something here everyone would enjoy.

My absolute favorite fiction book of the year!
It was just such an interesting idea {a book from the POV of Jesus' wife}!
It was well-researched, well-written, and the story itself was incredible.

My absolute favorite non-fiction book of the year!
It read like fiction - the writing was THAT good.
Yes, it was hard to read {racism shouldn't be easy},
but I felt like I learned so much and enjoyed it while mourning our history.
A lot of complicated emotions and worth it 1000%!
AND it's being turned into a series on Netflix, I can't wait to see it.

This was a great book to read in the dumpster fire that was 2020.
Just when you think humanity is doomed, this ray of sunshine came through.
Reading about a little town in Canada that came together to help stranded passengers in the days after 9/11 was a wonderful story to read.
It was also well-researched and written and just warmed my heart.

Emily described a book she read in 2020 as a 'warm hug',
and that's how I feel about this one.

This series was AMAZING.
Yes, it's fantasy [so if you can't handle that, this won't be for you],
yes, it has its cheesy moments. But was it also an amazing guilty pleasure? YUP.
I couldn't put it down and can't wait for the next book to come out in mere days.
This picture is of the 1st book in the series, but the 2nd was actually my favorite!

This was my favorite WW2 historical fiction of the year.
I didn't know that female pilots were a 'thing' in WW2, 
but they were, and I loved reading about their adventures.
Also had a great love story - you know I'm always down for that!

I am fascinated by the Royal Family.
Just the whole concept of monarchy/aristocracy really.
This was a great look at the power of fashion in the story they want to tell.
So interesting and so many amazing pictures!!
I got this for Christmas, so if anyone wants to borrow it, let me know!

Gah. I thought this was going to be classic chick-lit.
I was SO not prepared for what it turned into, 
and I'm not sure my heart has recovered still.
It was THAT good!

Talk about being gutted by a book.
I thought this was 'just' a story of an immigrant family navigating America.
The son who isn't understood. The parents who refuse to see him.
Which that by itself was interesting enough.
Then the end...I am tearing up just thinking about. 
It was amazing. Absolutely amazing.

I struggled to put the 5th book in a series on this list because if you haven't read any of them, why would you care about this random story.
But that's how good the series is! This J.K. Rowling's latest endeavor.
That woman just knows how to craft a story.
[Let's not talk about my complicated feelings about her as a person right now.]
The first book in the series was good, but each book gets better and better,
and I am FULLY invested in these characters and the world she has created.

This was a gripping look at slavery in the 1800s.
A tale of the master's son. But it was SO much more.
And it was magical!

What were your favorite books of the year?


3 comments:

Erika said...

Mmmmmm love this post!!!! We have a lot of the same faves for sure!!

Natasha said...

I read The Book of Longings on Saturday and LOVED it!!! It's so good. And I have The Warmth Of Other Suns on hold. You did a good job of diverse reading and you inspire me.

Kathryn Bagley said...

Some of these are on my list! I finally finished Beneath a Scarlet Sky (can't remember if I told you) but loved it! It took me umm well several months to read but it was great and I think you'd like it if you haven't read it already!