Friday, January 22, 2021

2021: Goals

I've been ruminating on goals for 2021 and have finally decided to put a pin in it and call this list done! I feel like there are other things I've thought of and have since forgotten, but maybe that's a good thing so I can focus on this list? Ha!

I like how Emily broke her goals down into categories, so I'm going to do that this year too {and also stole a few from her too}!

Health Goals

1) Develop a better relationship with food - I go back and forth in eating healthy and not and definitely use food as a reward/punishment. I'd like to work on my relationship with food this year and develop a more moderate way of eating. Food is fuel!

2) Hit goal weight - 2020 was a great year in terms of my exercise and getting my physical self in better shape. However, I've maintained the same weight for about 6 months now, so I'd like to push through this plateau and hit my goal weight! Maybe even in time for the summer when I spend A LOT of time in a bathing suit.

3) Keep running - My regular weekly running buddy moved out of our neighborhood, and even though we intend to keep running it won't be weekly. I've enjoyed getting back into running this year and hitting some very big milestones. I don't have any specific goals tied to races or mileage or times, but I'd like to just keep at it and keep improving.

4) Increase my flexibility - I've never been very flexible, but as I get older I want to see if I can gain some flexibility. I've started doing some yoga and pilates and can already tell a difference. One thing that I am specifically going to work on is being able to do the mermaid pose which Drew can do!

5) Eat more vegetables - Like Trent, I have a mostly hate relationship with vegetables. I often hide them in things {like smoothies} to just get some in me daily. I want to experiment with veggies to see if I can find any others I enjoy tolerate. Hopefully this helps find some more for Trent too!

Family Goals

1) Create a chore list for the kids - It is ridiculous that our kids don't have regular chores. Yes, I can say 'Come unload the dishwasher' and they do, but I want to set some expectations of things they do daily/weekly.

2) Get an evening schedule going - Similar to #1 here, I don't like our evening routine. By the time all the kids are in bed, the kitchen usually still needs to be cleaned, there are messes in places, lunches for the next day need to be made, etc. and I'm tired and don't want to do all this stuff, but if I don't it just gets worse! So I want there to be some assigned roles - Trent can help clean the kitchen, the girls can pick up messes, Brent can vacuum or whatever. But it doesn't all need to fall to me!

3) Kid dates - I don't have a set number in mind, but I would like to do some 1-on-1 activities with the kids. We spend a lot of time at home, but it's usually me cleaning, making dinner, working, whatever and not really giving them my undivided attention.

4) Travel as a family - We've talked about taking some trips as a family, and I'd really like to do whatever I can to make this happen!

Personal Goals

1) Read the Bible - I haven't started yet {eek!}, but I would like to read the Bible this year. Kristen and I started talking about this a few months ago, and wants to do this too, so I'm hoping we can find an app or study guide and do it together. My sister also gave me her copy that is designed for reading in a year. Guess I better start ASAP since I'm already behind! 

2) Close all monthly challenges - Stealing this from Emily! 2021 will be my first full year to have an Apple watch, and I'd love to close all my monthly challenges. I'm saying this having no clue what they will be so hopefully none of them are impossible, ha! I already know I should be able to close January, so 1 {almost} down!

*image is Emily's 2020 challenges*

3) Book goals - These are basically the same as last year:

-Read 100 books {You can track this with me on Goodreads!}
-Continue to reduce the pile of physical books in my room - this is hard for me since I'm way more of an e-reader - so I either need to read them or get rid of them!
-Educational books - expanding from books just about racism {although this will definitely stay on the list}, but I'd like to read more nonfiction or educational books
-Books by/about people of color - Last year about 25% of my books fell in that category, I'm happy with that percentage so just want to see it stay consistent or grow
-Classics - I'm setting a goal of reading 2 classics again this year.

This makes for a total of 12 goals for the year! Here's hoping I can knock these out {plus some carryovers from last year ha}!


2 comments:

Emily said...

WOW I am so honored to be featured so prominently in your 2021 goals! You know I love all of these, particularly all the health goals. I'm so happy to hear you are doing yoga/pilates; that helps tremendously as you increase your running. And YAY for more veggies! This week I learned I liked roasted turnips and that was pretty incredible because I always assumed I hated turnips. I am already very worried about my January Apple watch challenge but... we'll see. SO EXCITED FOR OUR YEAR OF GOALS AHEAD!

Kathryn Bagley said...

Love your goals! I have a hard time with getting into yoga and pilates but really enjoy piyo-it's a mix of pilates and yoga but fast paced so you get cardio in as well. When I was able to do it twice a week i noticed a huge difference in my range of flexibility. I need to start looking on youtube and do it at home. I have no doubt you will crush your reading goal :) I also think the fact you've maintained your weight for 6 months is a huge accomplishment..but I also know you want to get to that goal weight!