Friday, January 15, 2021

2020 Goals: Time to Grade the Year

I've been drafting my goals for 2021 and will post next week. But first we have to see how 2020 wrapped up! Here are my goals and how I did compared to them.

1. Trail Walks - I set a goal of 20 trail walks in 2020, and we ended the year with 14! We had a lot of fun exploring, and I'm so happy that Trent {especially since he is my curmudgeon} enjoyed himself and has some places he wants to go back, yay! Go nature!

Some of my favorite pictures from our various hikes

2. Book Goals - I read a lot {duh} but wanted to set some goals for what I would read for the year. I was really successful with all my specific goals, only missing 1.

- Book Pile - I wanted to reduce the pile of physical books I have because I have a lot I've been hanging onto so they either needed to be read or gotten rid of. I didn't keep track {and should have} of what books I donated, but I did read 18 physical books, 7 of which had been in my pile at the start of the year. I continually get physical books - usually from friends - but since I prefer to read on my phone, they can pile up! I want to continue to either read or remove them so my pile stays manageable!

- POC Books - I wanted to continue growing the books I read either written by people of color and/or about characters of color. I learn so much, even reading fiction, about the different experiences/challenges people face. In 2019, I read 18 books {19%} by or about POC. In 2020, I read 23 books {23%} so I did increase, yay!

- Books About Race - Same as POC books, I wanted to increase the number of books specifically discussing racism. In 2019, I read 4 books {4%}, and in 2020, I read 7 books {7%}, so again, I did increase, yay!

- Classics - I set a goal to read 2 classics, but I only read 1, Wuthering Heights, which I did not like!

As a shameless plug, I'm on Goodreads and would love to connect with anyone else who uses it!!

3. DiTL Quarterly Posts - I wanted to get back to doing a quarterly Day in the Life Post, and I hit it every quarter. If you want to check them out, click here.

4. Knitting or Sewing Class - Drew loves crafts, and I really want to encourage this side of her and was hoping to take either a knitting or sewing class with her this year...and then Covid happened. Boo. I still hope to find something in the future but can't really put a timeline on this one.

5. Photo Books - I was on the fence about wanting to do something with our pictures. My goal was to just figure out whether I was going to tackle photo books or not. And I decided to do them! I don't expect to go back and make 15 years of photobooks overnight, but I did make most of 2020, all of 2019 and started 2018. I figure if I can do a few a year, this will be totally manageable!

6. Antiracism Work - I'm toying with an idea of doing a post about my antiracism journey, but the long and short of it is I didn't get as involved this year with volunteering {thanks for another missed goal, Covid}, but I'm definitely doing more. I'm learning, learning, learning for starters - first from my reading but also my company has upped the Diversity, Equity & Inclusion game, so I'm getting a lot there as well. I've increased diversity at home a little {think toys and books} but want to do more here, I've increased my charitable giving to some antiracism organizations that are fantastic, but I definitely hope to start volunteering and giving back this year!

7. Trent - Fruits and Vegetables -  We started the year with Trent eating ONLY apples, bananas, and carrots. My goal was to increase his daily intake by experimenting. We did A LOT of experimenting this year! Some were successful and some were not {he threw up both times he tried green beans, ha}. He is consistently eating apples, bananas, grapes, pineapple, and carrots and will occasionally eat air-fried sweet potatoes. I am so proud of how many things he was willing to try, and we are still looking for another regular vegetable, but I am really happy with our results! It would be amazing if I could figure out a smoothie for him...

So there are my 2020 goals! I'm pretty proud of how the year wrapped up. Now onward to 2021!



3 comments:

Emily said...

I love review posts like this! I think you did a great job. Some you didn't get to and that's ok but others I think were a huge success, like the trail walks! Also I love the word "curmudgeon" and after reading your post, I purposely used the word twice today because it makes me smile.

Natasha said...

I think you did really well on your goals, especially considering Covid. Our family needs to get out for more trail walks because we love them too and it's so good for us!

And way to go on your reading goals. I need to reduce my pile of physical (non library) books too. It's getting ridiculous.

Kathryn Bagley said...

I think you did a fantastic job on your goals!!! Looking forward to 2021 post!