Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Pregnancy Fears 2.0

When I was pregnant with Trent, I was too naive to know I should be fearful.

Other than my fear of SIDS, I had no real concerns about having a baby and, you know, raising him. Little did I know! Not only is post-partum a b!tch, but raising a kid is hard work, haha.

This time around, I am definitely more aware of what it means to have a baby. Obviously I am not concerned enough to not have another one {and hopefully another one after that}, but it doesn't mean I don't have any fears this time. {grin}

1 - A repeat of post-partum. I am taking a ton of vitamins and have other awesome stuff planned {to blog about soon} to help prevent/deter post-partum, but I still worry about it rearing its ugly head again. I have all my family on high alert that they may spend the month of January babysitting ME!

2 - Breastfeeding. Breastfeeding with Trent was so easy. I don't say that to rub it in on others for whom it wasn't easy. But for us? It just worked. Sure, it hurt at first, but we never had trouble with Trent's latch (although given his open bite, it explains a lot now about why he would nurse for FOREVER), I never had supply issues, pumping when I went back to work was easy...it just worked. I was even able to donate almost 1,000 ounces to the Mother's Milk Bank and nursed Trent for 14 months. I am very proud of our success. Now I wonder if it will go as well with Baby Gurl. I want to nurse her for at least 18 months, and I hope we can make it. I've actually starting doing some BF research just in case we have problems.

3 - A 'hard' baby. Trent was an extremely easy baby. He hardly ever cried, we got him into a great routine, slept great, was just relaxed. Of course we ALL know he isn't an easy toddler (but he sure is cute)! Someone asked Brent if he wished Trent had been a harder baby if it meant him being an easier toddler. Brent said no because given #1 above, I needed an easy baby. Bless him because he's right! My sister and I joke {but I believe it} that God gives you the baby you can handle. You don't go crazy and get the hard baby! So does that mean this time I'll get a hard one?!?! I hope not!

4 - Delivery. I was very cavalier about my delivery with Trent. I did no research about what to expect and just went into it saying all I wanted was a healthy baby. While I agree this time with my sentiment, I also think not being prepared was pretty irresponsible of myself. So this time? Way more prepared (part of why I switched OBs) but also now way more aware of what could happen. I'm trying to be positive that knowledge = power...I guess time will tell.

At the end of the prenatal yoga class I tried on Saturday, the instructor told us to think of an intent for the rest of the day (we also did an intent for the class at the beginning), the rest of the weekend, the rest of the pregnancy. What instantly popped into my head was 'Calm. Harmony.' I want our home to be a place of calm (and it's my fault usually when it isn't). I want our family to be in harmony (and it's my fault usually when it isn't). I feel like the last few days when I have started to get worked up because Trent is having a fit or Brent is being a man, just thinking 'Calm. Harmony.' has helped me gain my balance back. 

I'm thinking those 2 words are going to take me a long way the next 7 weeks!

3 comments:

plauschinat said...

I hope none of your fears come to fruition! My mind may be (probably is) weird but I find the things I worry about often are not an issue...and things I didn't think about become the challenges. I never dreamed Harper would be such an active kid who would protest car seats and strollers...minor issue bit just an example...

KristenW said...

You are totally prepared this time. It won't be a problem at all. Love your intent words!

Anonymous said...

I was right there with you, friend. Ignorance was bliss the first time. I was SO much more nervous about me delivery because i knew I needed to be back home as fast as possible to Wyatt. My delivery with Abigail was actually EASIER! Also, even though I was more informed and therefore was not in the ignorance is bliss bubble, this also meant I was much more relaxed and knew what to expect and to really cherish all the time with her (even the tired nights) b/c i knew how fast it would fly by.