Monday, May 3, 2021

April 2021 Book Review

I have a lot to share this week, so we're going to start with a highlight of each month - my book review post! Yay!


I'm at 42 books for the year, killing it on my way to 100! I know some of the books I've documented are for kids or younger readers, but reading is reading I think, but I do recognize it adds to my stats really quickly. {grin}


Next Year in Havana by Chanel Cleeton - A co-worker recommended this to me, and I thoroughly enjoyed it! Not surprising if you know what I like - this is an alternating storyline between the past leading up a family escaping Cuba as Fidel Castro takes over and the present when a granddaughter of that family returns to Cuba. There were complicated emotions throughout the story and I was stressed about how it was all going to work out, so that definitely kept me engaged. I also knew nothing about Cuban history or politics, so this was a great book to learn from too. Also didn't know this was a series, so I will definitely keep reading it!


An Offer From a Gentleman and Romancing Mister Bridgerton by Julia Quinn - More Bridgerton fun! I broke my own rule of just reading 1 Bridgerton novel a month, but they are just really darn cute and fun. These 2 followed the 'B' and 'C' family members - Benedict and Colin. These are very typical Victorian-era romance novels, but they are also really fun. I like Julia Quinn's writing style and the characters she creates. I would say I enjoyed An Offer From a Gentleman a little more, but I liked them both and will definitely keep going through all 8 books.


Dear Justyce by Nic Stone - Trent read Dear Martin by himself a couple of months ago, and when we found out there was a sequel we decided to read it together. This was such a great story that led to some really good discussions between Trent and me about privilege, making good choices {and what that looks like for people who don't have good options to begin with}, racism, and our justice system. It felt especially important with what is happening in the US today. I like the way the book is written - it's a mix of letters, little stories from the past that helps you understand the main characters as well as a present-day storyline. It does have some cussing in it, but I think it is a great one for middle grade readers and up.


First They Killed My Father: A Daughter of Cambodia Remembers by Loung Ung - Another country where I knew nothing of their history. This book was devastating. I cannot imagine going through the horror this family does {and basically every family in Cambodia during this time period}. It was a hard read but such a good story. This author has other books that continue her story, and I really want to read them as well.


American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins - I have complicated feelings about this book. Based solely on the storyline, this was an excellent book. It follows a mom and her son on the run from a drug cartel in Mexico trying to make it to America. My heart was pounding numerous times throughout the book, and I struggled to sleep several nights because it was so intense! However, there are a lot of problematic elements surrounding this book - it's written by a white woman talking about the experience of people of color, it glorifies America as the savior of Mexican migrants and portrays Mexico in a very negative light, and there were also some really insensitive things done by the publisher when this book was being released. I struggle to say if I would recommend this or not. I feel like we could get a much better perspective from reading books by Mexican authors going through this experience. I actually just bought a book recommended by a friend {Hi Veronica!} about a girl she went to high school with who was undocumented.


Wish by Barbara O'Connor - This was the sweetest story! I bought it for Drew, and after she finished she told me she wanted me to read it, so of course I did. The story is about a little girl named Charlie who is living with her aunt and uncle because of problems at home. She makes a wish every day for a real family. I cried at the end and loved every minute of this story. I am going to buy more books by this author for Drew!


Watching You by Lisa Jewell - I have shared before that I have a complicated relationship with thrillers. I struggle to say whether I like them or not but continue to read them periodically. Well, Lisa Jewell might be my favorite thriller author. This is the 3rd book of hers I've read and it's another great thriller. I find it funny that the other 2 of hers that I've read are the ones mentioned on the cover. This story follows several neighbors as their lives intertwine. We know from the very beginning someone was murdered but we don't know who/why/etc. and from there the story backs up a few months as we try to figure out who was killed. I actually 'solved' the crime but had the wrong person as the victim, ha. This wasn't my favorite of Lisa Jewell's books but I did thoroughly enjoy it.


Life's Too Short by Abby Jimenez - Abby Jimenez published her first book in 2019 with The Friend Zone, and then had The Happy Ever After Playlist last year, and now this story. All 3 are winners in my book if you like the chick-lit-with-a-little-more-meat-romance type novel. I like how you also get to catch-up with the characters from the previous books as they are a loose series. You definitely don't need to read them in order though. I will say I felt this one was kind of rushed in the beginning - it took a couple of chapters for me to get really invested, but I quickly did and read this very quickly. PG-13.


The Yellow House by Sarah M. Broom - I finished the month with a memoir of a family. Sarah is the youngest of 12 children who grew up in the yellow house, and she tells the story of her family, how they came to buy this house, what happened to their family and the house during Katrina and the aftermath. The first 2/3 of the book I thoroughly enjoyed. The parts during Katrina I devoured. But it sort of lost its way {I felt} in the last 1/3 and I struggled to finish it. I think it largely was a great read and gave me a perspective of New Orleans and Katrina that I didn't have previously.

I really think my days of reading with Trent are done. He gets annoyed that he has to wait to finish a book with me, so he usually only reads it with me for a few days and then finishes it himself ha. So I will largely share going-forward what he's reading to himself. And right now he is OBSESSED with Japanese Manga {comic} books. He checks out 45+ books at a time from the library.

One Piece is a series he really likes.

Drew and I are steadily working our way through Harry Potter and started Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. This one is going to take us a while to get through, but she is LOVING all things Harry Potter. And I am LOVING sharing it with her.


She also just checked this out from the library to read by herself!

What are you reading these days?


4 comments:

Kathryn Bagley said...

I love that you read books with the kids! A couple weeks ago I finished a book called Addiction by Margaret Mcheyzer-it was a really hard read. It's about a girl who is a senior in HS and gets caught up with this drug dealer and her life just spirals downward! She came from a good home..parents who loved her. Considering I work with this population it was crazy to think how fast things turned upside down. I'd def recommend it. I'm currently listening to our BC book The Blackbird Girls. It's about the Chernobyl disaster (which I really didn't know anything about). It's a historical fiction so I'll keep you posted!

Erika said...

What a good split of just for fun/fun but educational this month! I'll have to check out some of those memoirs when I need to get my nonfic numbers up, hahaha.

Emily said...

How would you compare the Lisa Jewel books to "The Last Mrs Parrish?" That is now my bar of comparison for all thrillers lol.

Natasha said...

Why do I think I can read your book reviews without opening my library tab at the same time?!?!? So many good books to add to my list this month! And I LOVE that I'm getting ideas for Sam from your list too.