Friday, April 30, 2021

I Call First Song!

One part of our morning routine that has remained consistent for years - and causes very little drama - is our song rotation in the car. Our drive to school is 10 minutes - long enough for each kid to pick 1 song on the way. The kids {whoever thinks of it first starts it} will call out which song they want. Trent and Paige both want first song and Drew always wants second song. Usually when the kids are eating breakfast, someone will randomly shout out 'I call x song!' and it dominoes from there. It cracks me up when one of the girls starts it while Trent is still in bed and later he tries to call first song, and it's like 'Dude, that ship has sailed.'

Once we get in the car, my phone gets passed around to each kid as they pick their songs. For a long time, Trent was picking clean rap songs off YouTube {usually garbage songs and it made me feel like I was 100 years old complaining about the junk he picked} and the girls were picking Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, Ava Max...some rotation of girl power pop songs. 

Then we had a big shift in our song choices, and it has really cracked me up, and it's worth {to me at least} documenting. 

Now Trent is super into Manga {Japanese anime} - he literally checked out 45 books last week at the library and read them all in a week. They are comics so he can read a whole book very quickly. So his song choices are now Japanese TV show theme songs that literally we don't understand a single word to.

And Drew is obsessed with Harry Potter, so she goes from picking classical music from the various Harry Potter movie soundtracks or these YouTube Harry Potter rap songs. Paige usually picks the same thing as Drew right now ha.

So imagine how that feels in my mind to go from rap/Katy Perry/Taylor Swift to Japanese theme songs and classical music, ha! These kids are something else. {grin}

Just because they are so cute and I can't end a post without a pic!


4 comments:

Kathryn Bagley said...

Interesting song shift! ha! I'd of course always pick Taylor :)

Erika said...

That's hilarious. I need to find what these Harry Potter raps are that you speak of!!

Natasha said...

It's the little things like this that you think you'll always remember but then you forget -- this is why I blog!

Emily said...

Harry Potter rap?? I am terrified to google this.