Thursday, February 10, 2022

Enchiladas: A Story

This story is an old one, but as it comes up often in my real life, it's one worth sharing!

We're going to take this back to August 2020 when I turned 40. Brent and I had our closest friends come over for dinner. Given we were still in the 'not really sure what Covid is' phase of life, we wanted to celebrate but didn't want to be stupid, so we decided dinner at our house would be a good idea. {It's so funny to think about this in hindsight because Texas still had almost zero cases at that point!}

We ordered dinner from my favorite local restaurant, Blue Corn Harvest, which is basically Tex-Mex with some flare. My favorite dish are their pork enchiladas so we ordered those and also beef enchiladas. As I was telling everyone what we ordered, our friend Dez {who grew up near Boston but her mom is a native Texan and she moved back to Tx in elementary school} questioned how I say 'enchilada'. The way I say it sounds more like 'an-chilada' but Dez said it more like 'in-chilada'. Brent's comment was that I've always said it wrong. I was SHOCKED and a debate ensued. Everyone else at our house was a native Texan and everyone else said 'in-chilada'. WHAT?!?!

Me and my girls

I figured this had to come from somewhere, so the next day I called my parents and had them each talk to me in a room separate from each other. I asked my dad 'If you were at a Mexican food restaurant, name some common menu items you might order.' [And yes, at first, my parents were very confused why I separated them and asked them such a random question, ha.] My dad's immediate response was...'In-chiladas'. Okay, my dad isn't the culprit. He passed the phone to my mom, where I repeated the question. Her response was 'An-chiladas'. Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner for where my pronunciation came from! I also called my sister who answered this question with 'in-chiladas'! We had a good laugh over us 3 apparently saying this word wrong forever and not having a clue. How funny is it also that everyone in my family immediately responded with the same food as 'things you would order as a Mexican restaurant'??

Fast forward a few weeks later and I was watching an episode of Schitt's Creek. The 'fold in the cheese' episode which became a hilarious video in the 'how are we going to go back to school' days of that summer. The episode starts with the Rose family talking about dinner. 

And David says this...

Totally hilarious that I apparently pronounce the word the same way a Canadian does. I immediately had to text the girls with that clip! I hope y'all find this story as funny as I did because we still talk about this 18 months later!

And just in case you never saw the 'fold in the cheese' video...I found it!


How happy is everyone that it isn't 2020 anymore, even if this was a funny memory from then!


2 comments:

Natasha said...

Maybe this just proves you're really Canadian!!!

Kathryn Bagley said...

ahahah i totally said the word a hundred times to see how i pronounce it..i say "in" ha! I remember the fold in the cheese with the whole how do we navigate school with covid stuff!