Monday, February 28, 2011

Oscar Awards: Fashion Rewind!

 Well...another awards season has come and gone.  For once, I knew the majority of the films nominated (and I must say, I had a blast going to see them all), and I obviously know how to predict winners. {grin}

I thought the show itself was very enjoyable.  I will admit I fast-forwarded through a few (okay most) acceptance speeches.  I loved Anne Hathaway and James Franco as hosts.  Anne Hathaway's wardrobe changes were {mostly} great.  LOVED the tux w/ the sparkly stilletos!

And now...onto the fashion!

 Lots of black (pretty standard)
Sharon Stone - looks good but I just don't like her
Helen Mirren - fantastic!  I love her!
Helena Bonham Carter - typical for her.  She always talks about how she doesn't come to these shows for the fashion.  We get it - but couldn't you just try ONE time?
Reese Witherspoon - reminds me too much of Julia Roberts when she won her Oscar

Jewel tones
Scarlett Johansson - I couldn't decide for a long time on this.  I finally decided I don't like it.  It makes her body look weird and doesn't look dressy enough.  Plus her hair is a mess.
Amy Adams - I LOVE this dress.  Don't like the necklace and wish she'd pulled her hair back
Natalie Portman - looks good, not great, wearing silly earrings {so happy she won though!!}

Metallics
Celine Deion - looks fantastic
Gwenyth Paltrow - another one I can't decide on.  I think I like it (the dress is really pretty), but it doesn't seem to fit her right.
Michelle Williams - won't be worst dressed but underwhelmed.

Red Hot
Jennifer Lawrence - most improved (after the disaster at the SAG Awards)
Sandra Bullock - not feeling it
Anne Hathaway - by far, NOT my favorite look of hers from the night
Jennifer Hudson - put the girls away please, we know you lost a ton of weight but seriously we don't need to see so much of you

Twinkies #1
Is it just me or do these 2 dresses look a lot alike?  Hailee Steinfeld looks way better though.  Mandy is too pale and her lipstick is all wrong.

Twinkies #2
Strapless? Check! Shimmery? Check! Tight/slinky? Check! Feathers at bottom? Check! Another set of very similar dresses.  And I can't decide who I like better...too similar I guess.  Although I think they both look fantastic!

What Were They Thinking?
Marissa Tomei - ready for prom
Melissa Leo - the holiday doily come to life
Cate Blanchett - here's the thing - the dress is really unique, but I hate the shoulders and also think it's not really an 'Oscars' dress.

Couples
Annette Benning and Warren Beatty are just a good-looking couple, huh?  And Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem have a newborn - what?  Matthew is too orange, right?  And Christian Bale and his wife are just a beautiful couple!

Couples
Only a few comments here - Mark Ruffalo's significant other (whose name is Sunshine) looks WEIRD, when you see Helena Bonham Carter and Tim Burton together you kind of understand, I love Colin Firth and his wife, Nicole Kidman just looks wrong (my co-worker said she looks like a playing card - I totally see that).


Eye candy!! (When is Christian going to shave that horrendous beard?)

Best Dressed - Mila Kunis has killed it this award season.  I have just loved everything she has worn.  I thought this dress was unique, the color was gorgeous, it was totally flattering...LOVED IT!


3 comments:

plauschinat said...

My fav is Hilary Swank. I feel like Mila Kunis came out of hiding and suddenly shows up everywhere looking stunning.

Kelly said...

Okay the post I have been waiting for and I have a lot to say! So sit back, grab a beverage (I'll wait) and here we go! (grin)

First, I LOVED Anne Hathway and James Franco as hosts...they were good. And yes I loved her silver stilettos when she wore the tux. I had no idea she had such a good voice either!!

Okay Fashion:
Sharon Stone - eh...don't like her.
Helen Mirren - agreed! She looks awesome!!
Helena Bonham Carter - not her worst
Reese Witherspoon - hated it! Reminded me of something I would see at prom.
Scarlett Johansson -don't like the dress but I actually liked her messy hair.
Amy Adams - LOVE!
Natalie Portman: don't love it...I thought it made her look frumpy. I think she could have found something more flattering even being that pregnant.
Celine Deion: like it
Gwenyth Paltrow - this was my fave of the night! Loved it!
Michelle Williams - GROSS! Hate it.
Jennifer Lawrence - underwhelmed
Sandra Bullock - really like this on her. Her body is amazing!
Anne Hathaway - by far, NOT my favorite look of hers from the night *AGREE*
Jennifer Hudson - think it shows her new body off but thought it was a bit much
Hailee Steinfeld - very age appropriate. Like it.
Mandy Moore - not a good color for her at all!
Hilary Swank and Halle Berry - love them both!
Marissa Tomei, Melissa Leo and Cate Blanchett - hate them all!
Annette Benning and Warren Beatty: Nope..both look bad in my opinion
Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem have a newborn - didn't know that!!
Matthew' wife is fabulous!!!
Christian Bale and his wife are just a beautiful couple - AGREED!
Mark Ruffalo's significant other (whose name is Sunshine) looks WEIRD *AGREED*
Helena Bonham Carter and Tim Burton together you kind of understand *AREED*
Colin Firth and his wife - FABULOUS!
Nicole Kidman: hate it and she look like a giant next to Keith Urban.

My Best Dressed: Gywneth Paltrow
My Worst Dressed: Nicole Kidman

Jill said...

in total agreement on the "what were they thinking" and mila's best dressed. although i didn't like amy adams' dress. for the same reasons you weren't a fan, which overall put her in the no good category for me.