Monday, January 24, 2011

Movie Review: True Grit

First, THANK YOU for all your wonderfully supportive comments.  We had a good weekend with lots of help from family.  I feel pretty good, it's just hard taking care of a toddler when your head and body ache. 

Brent and I went to see 'True Grit' last night.  We had planned to have a date night before my accident and stuck with our original plan because after a few hours with Trent, I'm just WORN OUT right now.

Synopsis: Following the murder of her father by hired hand Tom Chaney, 14-year-old farm girl Mattie Ross sets out to capture the killer. To aid her, she hires the toughest U.S. marshal she can find, a man with "true grit," Reuben J. "Rooster" Cogburn. Mattie insists on accompanying Cogburn, whose drinking, sloth, and generally reprobate character do not augment her faith in him. Against his wishes, she joins him in his trek into the Indian Nations in search of Chaney. They are joined by Texas Ranger LaBoeuf, who wants Chaney for his own purposes. The unlikely trio find danger and surprises on the journey, and each has his or her "grit" tested. {from imdb.com}


Review: LOVED it!  I thought the characters were intruiging, the plot enjoyable (lots of action, suspense and laughs), the acting great...  Jeff Bridges just blew me away.  I truly love him.  I can't wait to see if this movie gets nominated for any Oscars (nominations come out Tuesday, Allison).  I didn't realize this was based on a book, so my name is now on the waiting list at the Pflugerville Library.  I'll definitely let you guys know how the book is, but the reviews on Amazon.com are fantastic for the book.

Next up: 'Black Swan' on Tuesday.  If anyone is interested, let me know!!


4 comments:

The Watkins Family said...

ooo...I'm interested! Can't believe that about your wreck! So glad you are ok!!

Hanna said...

If I lived closer, I'd totally go see Black Swan with you! I've heard you should be prepared for a certain scene as it could be awkward depending on who you're with... Looking forward to your review!

The Krause's said...

You should see the original True Grit with John Wayne. I love the new one, but the original is good too! I use to have to watch the old westerns with my parents when I was younger and True Grit was my favorite ;)

Kelly said...

Black Swan is good...very weird but Natalie Portman does a FABULOUS job! Keith and I want to see 127 hours. I hear it is good but don't go on a full stomach!!