Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Story

So yesterday I got into a car accident.  I was heading home from work at lunch (my client closes at noon on Fridays), and a guy ran a red light and plowed into me.  I spun 90 degrees and slowly came to a stop...in utter shock.  I didn't see this truck at all.  A fire truck just happened to be driving down the same road, so we had immediate attention.  I got to take a lovely ride to the hospital with a collar around my neck and my body strapped to a back board.  I'm up for trying new things but could have lived without that experience!  It really was a precautionary measure - I honestly didn't feel too bad.  My head HURT and I had a few aches and pains but overall didn't think I was in too bad of shape.  Brent was at the hospital just a few minutes after me and of course cracked a few jokes.  I can always count on my honey for some laughs.  My head hurt for a good reason - I had a 2+ inch gash in the back of it.  We can't figure out what I cut my head on, but my guess is the exploding glass formerly known as the driver-side window probably did it!  I ended up with 2 staples and 3 stitches in my head (as you all got to see yesterday), a lovely prescription for muscle relaxers, and a quick discharge.  My in-laws picked Trent up from school and ended up taking him home with them for the night so I could rest {they're fabulous, remember?}.  I slept for 12 hours and woke up today feeling like I'd been in a car accident.  I have a lot of bruising and stiffness and my head still really hurts, but I'd say I'm doing pretty good.  I am SO thankful Trent wasn't with me, SO thankful this guy didn't crash directly into me (he hit more near my driver-side front tire), SO thankful help was on the scene so fast, SO thankful for all the family we have nearby that have helped out yesterday and today, SO thankful for insurance...you get the picture.  We're not sure yet the status of my car; it's likely totaled, but we'll see.  Brent thinks we'll get rid of it either way - it's been through a lot.  I spent some time this morning 'shopping' for vehicles and new car seats. {grin}  So there you have it...just another boring Friday.

13 comments:

Jenni said...

So glad you are ok! Scary! Hope you have a speedy recovery!

Val said...

So sorry!! Very scary! I've been taking a defensive driving class online (slight speeding ticket) and it is freaking me out about accidents and how often they happen. Running a red light is just stupid. So sorry you were hurt b/c of it! Soooo glad Trent wasn't w/ you too. Youre in-laws are so great! Take care!!

Val said...

Oh and look at the Graco Nautilus 3 n 1 carseat. It got the best ratings from Consumer Reports in May...when someone ran into me and we had to replace carseats too! It was even rated hight than the Britax we had.

Kelly said...

OH MY GOSH!!!! I am so sorry but at least you are doing okay and not hurt. Goodness...I am thinking the spray comment would have been a more fun Friday activity!!

Anonymous said...

Glad that you are okay! Your brain must still be working since you beat me at Words with Friends! -a

Heather said...

Oh my gosh! I am so sorry that happened. I am very glad you are ok and that Trent wasn't with you. What a scary thing! Get some rest!

plauschinat said...

Scary!! I'm glad you are okay and hope you feel back to normal soon.

The Krause's said...

So glad you are okay! Get plenty of rest. Have fun car & car seat shopping though ;) Britax is awesome!

Hanna said...

Someone higher than us was watching out for you. I can only imagine how horrible it would have been had Trent been with you. Mentally if nothing else. I HATE red light runners. Hope you feel better soon! And watch out for the hairbrush. :-)

Jaclyn said...

Oh my goodness. I am so glad you are OK. FYI - the other guy's insurance must pay for the new car seat.

A Real Housewife said...

oh, allena! i am so sorry to hear this. glad you weren't badly injured! how are you feeling today?

Dezzy Lou Where Are You said...

Im so glad youre safe

STACEY said...

I met your sweet mother Monday night & she told me about your accident. I’ve been thinking of you ever since & been meaning to send you a message, but just hadn’t had a chance. Thank goodness Trent was not with you.
I’m thinking about you & hope you are feeling alright.