Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A Big Oops!

Yesterday was not my best day... Leaving work downtown, I hit a car pulling out of the parking lot... It was totally an accident but my fault. Thankfully I wasn't on the phone, fiddling with the radio or anything like that, I just didn't see this other car and hit her. We get out and start exchanging information, and of course, she decides to call the police. Well, I start getting all the information out of my car and start thinking about 'what if' and the baby and just lose it. I start crying...and crying...and crying. I felt so silly because I caused the accident, if anyone should be crying, it should be the other girl! Anyway, the police come, we get everything taken care of, and I get to drive away (I felt bad because she had to wait for a tow truck) with a lovely APD citation.

As I'm leaving, I call Brent to give him an update and just go hysterical. Hyperventilating and sobbing uncontrollably hysterical. He couldn't understand anything I was saying, and I wasn't making ANY sense. (Poor guy - they should offer a class to expecting fathers on how to deal with the extra hormones of a pregnant woman!) He gets me calmed down and somewhat rational...but I continued to cry pretty much the whole way home. I just couldn't shake the 'what ifs'!

So today, I call my doctor to get reassurance that everything is fine. The nurse is great but wants me to come in to just make sure everything is okay. For whatever reason, that sets me off again (my poor co-worker, Jennifer, had to calm me down this time). I asked Brent to drive me because I wasn't sure I could make it on my own. Thankfully everything is okay with the baby, as expected (heart rate holding steady at 150), and now I feel so much better!!

Moral of the story - pregnant women are crazy and hormonal!! While it's no fun dealing with insurance agents, auto body shops, police departments, and doctors, I'm so thankful that our baby is okay. It is amazing how quickly you stop caring about yourself. My child is the size of my hand and already one of the most important people in my life.

2 comments:

shara said...

Sweetie...I'm sorry you had an accident. You are going to be a great Mommie, despite the terrible driving ability, of course. I'm glad everything is okay...drive safe!

STACEY said...

You poor thing!! I’m glad to hear everything is okay though.