Thursday, March 29, 2018

Movie Review: Love, Simon

I read Simon vs. The Homo-Sapiens Agenda in February and was excited to see Love, Simon, so I convinced Allison to go with me {not hard to do} even though she hadn't read the book.


Plot: Simon Spier is keeping a huge secret from his family, his friends, and all of his classmates: he's gay. When the secret is threatened, Simon must face everyone and come to terms with his identity.

Review: This movie gave me all the feels. It was really good but a typical YA movie - several scenes were eyeroll-worthy over-the-top or silly {like the teacher who cusses or the vice principal that talks about his sex life - yes, I know it's a movie but a bit ridiculous, ha}, but it was also really touching. I teared up when Simon came out to his parents because I really identified with the parents {which also made me feel super old} and it made me so sad thinking about my kids ever being scared to come and tell me something. I loved that part of the book and movie - how his parents reacted - yet it was also really hard on my heart. It was definitely a high school movie but I think it is good for any age and overall was really touching. It was a good way to talk about a challenging subject and still have it be light-ish and fun.

1 comments:

Emily said...

Yay I'm so glad the movie lived up to your expectations. I also loved the book and I also feel ya on the parent thing - I don't want my kids to EVER be afraid to come out to me about anything. We actively talk about gay people ("some people have two daddies and no mommies and that's ok") and I'm hoping that talking about it often will make him feel more comfortable but let's be honest, there's always going to be something that we don't cover and even if I don't explicitly say it, I want him to know I will always love him! Man, this was a long comment not about the movie. Sorry!