Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Movie Review: The Shape of Water

Allison and I are well on our way to knocking out all 9 Best Picture nominees. We've seen 4 now and 2 are already available to rent, so we have 3 left with 3 weeks to go, yay!

So far we've seen:
Lady Bird {review here}
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri {review here}
Darkest Hour {review here}

Sunday night, we went and saw The Shape of Water. I was really intrigued as to what to expect given what I knew about the film was 'mute girl falls in love with sea creature'.


Plot: At a top secret research facility in the 1960s, a lonely janitor forms a unique relationship with an amphibious creature that is being held in captivity.

Review: I honestly have no idea what to put for this review. This was like the bizarrest Wes Anderson film ever made but also you're smoking crack while you watch it. I found myself really invested in the story, I was anxious and stressed out from the plot and the bad guy is so creepy, I laughed out loud a few times - especially at the fabulous Octavia Spencer...yet...at the same time, there were more than a few moments where Allison and I looked at each other and just shook our heads at the utter absurdity of what was going on. And that had nothing to do with the fact that the movie is about a sea creature. We handled that just fine. There were just SO.MANY.ODD.THINGS. But there were also so many fun things. And at its heart, it has such great points - love story, strong women, friendship... I say if you can look past and/or enjoy the totally absurd, you'll like this. Rating: NO CLUE!

3 comments:

Karen Peterson said...

This was my very favorite film of 2017, and I am just so baffled whenever anyone says it's weird. Maybe I just have some kind of blindness where this one's concerned. I find it a lovely fairy tale and it brings joy to my heart.

Even if you don't know how you feel about it, I'm glad you didn't hate it!

Erika said...

WOW. All I needed to hear was "most bizarre Wes Anderson film and you're smoking crack while you watch it" to know that I never need to see this, bahahahaha. I mostly can't STAND Wes Anderson films (naturally my husband adores them), and I've never smoked crack but I don't think I'd like that either, so...nope!! Bahah! Love your review though!!

Kathryn Bagley said...

omg this review was awesome! it made me lol!