Saturday, February 21, 2015

Double Movie Review: The Theory of Everything and Selma

Nothing like waiting until the night before the Oscars, but Allison and I did it! We saw all the Best Picture nominees!! We saw The Theory of Everything last weekend and Selma tonight. Whew!


The Theory of Everything
Plot: The relationship between the famous physicist Stephen Hawkings and his wife.
Review: Meh. This was a little more boring than I thought it would be. I didn't expect it to wow me, but I guess I expected a little more. The beginning is very gut wrenching when you see Stephen get diagnosed with ALS, but I almost feel like that was the most dramatic part of the movie. The acting was really great {especially Eddie Redmayne}, but the plot just didn't hold me.


Selma

Plot: A chronicle of Martin Luther King's campaign to secure equal voting rights via an epic march from Selma to Montgomery, Alabama in 1965
Review: This was SO awesome! David Oyelowo was ROBBED of an Oscar nomination. He was freaking phenomenal as Dr. King, and while this movie was also a slow-moving film, it was completely different than The Theory of Everything. The plot escalated so beautifully. It's an interesting portrayal of a piece of American history - it is so embarrassing to see how people were treated such a short time ago {not that I'm so naive to think everything is fixed now}, how much hatred their was, and truly how 1 man could make such a difference. Very powerful and moving. Allison and I both loved it!

Come back tomorrow when I'll give my predictions for the awards, and then Monday I'll be doing my fashion recap! Love the Oscars!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agreed that the MLK actor for sure should've been nominated. Even so, I think the Stephen Hawking actor is hands down the winner. Excited to see if the Academy makes good choices & agrees with our picks! -AP

Karen M. Peterson said...

Wasn't Selma SOOOOOO good?? I'm mad for Oyelowo and Ava DuVernay both.

And I suspected as much about The Theory of Everything. I'm waiting for the DVD at this point.