Thursday, February 28, 2013

Swaddling Brings Out the Crazy

I swear, swaddling will be the downfall of me. I can't explain {rationally} why, but I hate it. It hurts my heart to see my babies wrapped up. Unfortunately, both my children have needed it. 

And Drew? NEEDS it. 

Brent commented the other day how fidgety she is when awake. She's SOOO wiggly. And she startles all the time when asleep. Even swaddled, she will startle and wake herself up. FROM.INSIDE.THE.SWADDLE. I am starting to lose it a little when I have to rock her 5 times in a nap and 5 minutes later she has startled herself and is crying again. I eventually give up and just hold her {swaddled} while she naps. And in those instances, she usually sleeps for HOURS. 

Brent is sick of all of my theories about why she is waking herself up - she's hungry, she's got an upset tummy, she needs more access to her hands, she needs less... All we can figure is she's startling herself. So we're experimenting again with our collection of swaddles to see which keep her contained the best. Luckily, she sleeps great at night and is consistently only waking once to eat and goes straight back to sleep. I'll take messy daytime sleep!

Sweet sleeping girl



5 comments:

Hanna said...

Girl! Don't worry about swaddling that precious baby. I had Alexandra in one of the full swaddling blankets (complete with Velcro) until she was 6 months old. It wasn't until she could roll both directions that I decided she could transition to a sleep sack. She slept in one of those until she was almost two years old. Don't feel bad about it!! :-)

Melissa said...

Both mine loved the miracle blankets! We swaddled them up tight! It was the only way they would sleep. Reflux babies are very fidgety!!!

Monica Curry said...

I am a FIRM believer in swaddling. I used the miracle blanket with Quin, and he slept like a champ. Granted, I did it WAY too long (almost 8 months), but he loved it and I didn't see a reason to stop....until his head started looking a little flat. OOPS.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes the answer to all the questions is "Because she is a baby".

Abigail was a horrible napper for her first year. There was no reason for it except she was just a baby. If the swaddling helps, then by all means do it but don't worry yourself sick trying to find an answer to a question that might not have an answer.

AND if she will only nap on you during the day and you can manage to have her wrapped to you then enjoy that too. They don't want to do that for long. My back hated me during that time, but now I miss it when she barely lets me rock her and says "bed momma" and gives me a kiss to put her down.

Karen M. Peterson said...

I think swaddled babies look so sweet.