Wednesday, December 21, 2011

That Time My Dad Ruined Christmas

I have a pretty awesome dad.  He grew up in a house with 3 females and is still around - I'd say he rocks!  But that's not to say he's perfect.  {grin}


Growing up, I was very naive and innocent.  Heck, most people would still say that's true!  I believed in things way longer than I probably should have.  Like Santa Claus.  I remember being maybe 7 or 8 years old, leaving a letter, milk and cookies out for Santa and waking up to a note back from St. Nick himself!!!  I was on cloud 9!  (Now most people would have probably noticed how Santa's handwriting was exactly like my uncle's distinct all-caps style of writing but not me!)  So you can see I was a little trusting.


Fast forward a few years.  I'm 10.  I still believe in Santa Claus.  A little ridiculous?  Probably.  I'm standing in H-E-B with said 'awesome' dad.  I'm talking about Santa.  My dad turns and looks at me and says 'Allena, Santa is not real.'


Holy sh*t balls.


What?  You're kidding right?


Nope.  Santa is, in fact, not real.


I was devastated.  I think I broke down in tears and cried the whole way home and ran straight to my mother.  She was not pleased.  


Fast forward 20+ years.  I doubt my dad remembers this, but I will never forget it.  I'll have to ask my mom if she remembers...


When did you find out Santa Claus wasn't real?

5 comments:

the blogivers said...

So harsh, Dad! I believed in Santa WAY too long as well... maybe until I was like 11 or 12... but I don't remember a defining moment of when I stopped believing - I think I finally just started listening to my naysayer friends and decided they were right!

The Krause's said...

I believed a very long time too. I think it is great though and hope I can keep it alive for my kids that long. It is such a sign of innocence for children, I think it should last as long as possible. The story is quite funny though. Dad is still awesome :)

Unknown said...

OMG i cannot believe he did that! Wow! :) I was about 6 or so. I overheard my Aunt talking about it. So disappointed!

Kelly said...

Oh my gosh....COACH SWOPE...how could he?!

Val said...

I was at least 10...it seems common that's the age kids find out these days. It makes me so sad to think of that day w/ my own kids. I just want it to be true!