Discipline - training to act in accordance with rules; punishment inflicted by way of correction and training
We had a phenomenal time in San Antonio, but I spanked Trent so many times my hand hurt. Sometimes it feels like a losing battle.
Today he had a 15 MINUTE timeout because he couldn't calm down when he was upset. He was back to beating his head off his bed. Sometimes it feels like a losing battle.
Last weekend as I took him out of church, he said {loudly} 'Don't spank me Mama'. {I didn't. We just had a 'chat'. Later I did pinch him though.} Sometimes it feels like a losing battle.
Brent and I look at each other and have no idea if we're disciplining him 'right'. Should we keep spanking him? Is it even effective? Do timeouts work better? Sometimes it feels like a losing battle.
But you know what? Sometimes it might feel like a losing battle, but I vow we will win this war!

5 comments:
Ugh, that doesn't sound fun, especially having to second guess yourself :( I'm sure it will get better!
Oh man and I have 2 toots!
I'm sorry Allena. I know this is so frusterating for you. I think that for punishment to work Trent has have to a certain level of fear. A healthy amount of fear for either the spanking, or for some consequence like time out, not getting a certain toy, etc. Without that fear then he doesn't care. He doesn't care if he gets spanked, he doesn't care if he is time out. I think discipline it all about finding that one thing that works. Keep experimenting...you'll get there. Hugs!
We are having the same issue with Porter right now. He gets a variety of spankings and time outs. We use different methods for different behaviors. Once they are around 4 it should be so much easier...3's are not always better than 2's. Just follow your instinct. He is just figuring out his place. :)
I have to comment. I don't know you, but I found your blog through my good friend, Alisa Falls. This sounds like my olderst TO A T! I would go to bed at night with my hand hurting so bad from wearing Braidy's bottom out. But he didn't care. Rarely would he even cry, and I promise I spanked HARD. The saving grace for me and my child was the old wooden spoon. It only took a few GOOD spanks with that (maybe even a bare hiney, or underwear only but definitely no diaper), and he's straightened up pretty well. He's scared of the spanking spoon. It will break your heart into a million pieces those first few times you have to use it, but I promise it will be SO worth it. Good luck. These first borns are SO headstrong...it's scary.
Post a Comment