Thursday, December 7, 2023

Monthly Musings: How We Holiday

Maybe one day I'll do one of these Monthly Musings posts in time to link-up, but here we are...still behind. Ha!

1. Favorite holiday traditions?

The simple answer to this is: All of them. {grin} But here are a few I really love:
  • Decorating with the girls - my guys are not interested ha
  • Looking at lights around town
  • Brent's work holiday party
  • Our 'routine' for where we go {see below}
2. Favorite holiday fashions items or accessories?

I have a million Christmas shirts, and it kills me that my kids have ZERO percent interest in holiday clothing! The girls used to wear matching dresses, and I LOVED it, but we are past them wanting to wear dresses without being forced.


I also have a few pairs of Christmas pajamas and LOVED the year we all matched. I think everybody has a Buffalo check pj something that still fits except maybe Trent. We probably won't buy more styles but I like that we have 1 set!


3. Share your favorite holiday recipes.

I would say I have 3. 

{my granny used to make these every year}

Cranberry tea
32 ounces of cranberry cocktail
32 ounces tea {I boil decaf tea bags}
1 cup of sugar
lemon juice
cinnamon sticks

Christmas potpourri - not an eating recipe ha
{I stole this from Natasha}
1/2 cup fresh cranberries
spices like nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon
fresh orange slices
cinnamon stick
Simmer on your stove to make your house smell wonderful!

4. How do you celebrate the holidays?

We have had some variation of this routine for almost our entire marriage.

Christmas Eve - we used to go to Brent's grandmother's house but now we go to my parents' house and visit with my parents and my sister and her family. We open presents, eat, drink, and enjoy our time together. I cannot believe there will be a newborn with us this year!
Christmas morning - we wake up at our house and open presents here and enjoy a lazy morning with breakfast and some adult beverages. Last year the kids and I went back to my parents' house, most years we just chill at home all day!
Christmas night - we go to Brent's parents' house with his parents and brother's family. Dinner, presents, drinks!

5. Do you go to see holiday lights?

Yes! We will drive around several times throughout the season but usually just once as a family of 5 {the girls and I enjoy it the most}. Last year we went to a neighboring town with the girls and Brent's mom. We'll have a warm drink {hot chocolate or chai or cranberry tea} and listen to carols. One year I keep saying I want to go to Johnson City {about 90 minutes away} that has spectacular lights...but we haven't made it yet.

6. How do you decorate your house for the holidays?

So much! Christmas explodes at our house. For the past 2 years, we've FINALLY had lights on our roof {I've wanted them forever}, and there are decorations in basically every room of the house. One of my favorites is my tree-covered kitchen island. Every year I think I have enough trees, but I keep buying them - I guess I've decided I can't have too many.

This year's view - makes my heart so happy!

7. If you get a Christmas tree-is it real or fake?

Growing up we always had a fake tree because my dad has bad asthma. I swore when I grew up I would have a real tree...and then I married a man with the worst allergies known to mankind! So we are #teamfaketree over here. It's beautiful and cost-effective and easy...but I sure do love the smell of a real tree!


8. Favorite holiday treats?

All the desserts and snacks - and no one is surprised by that! I love the peppermint cake pop from Starbucks, my beloved Christmas wreaths, trash mix is yummy too!

9. If you have pets, do your pets get and give gifts?

No pets this year, but I'm really hoping that changes by next Christmas!

10. Best tips to make the holidays less stressful?

Focus on what matters for you and your family - not what Instagram is doing or what your neighbor is doing and if you buy presents - start early! I keep a list on my phone starting in the early fall for when the kids mention wanting something or when I see ideas for family. It makes so much easier when I start shopping in November.


2 comments:

Natasha said...

It's only fair that you've taken my potpourri recipe (which wasn't mine in the first place!) because we LOVE your cranberry tea recipe and it's been a holiday staple the past few years. And my sad little tree farm clearly needs some help after seeing your island!

Kathryn Bagley said...

You need to send me the recipe for the Christmas wreaths! I remember those every year in your Christmas posts!