Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Paige's Accent

Pretty early on we knew Paige had inherited my tongue thrust {just like her big brother}. Her tongue was constantly hanging out of her mouth. She was just a few month's old when Trent was doing speech therapy - for the second time - and his therapist would coo at Paige 'I'll be seeing you in a few years.' and we'd laugh about it. Because yup we knew we'd get there.

Cutie pie 4 month old Paige with her tongue hanging out

Then add to it that around 5 months old she started sucking her thumb...and we were 100% sure we'd need some speech therapy to tame that tongue. And braces of course to fix those teeth!

But try and tell me this isn't the sweetest and cutest face.

What we didn't expect was for her to sound like she's got a New Yorker accent...or maybe Cockney with some of her words! {grin}

Brother, Mother, Father are all udder words - Brudder, Mudder... okay sure that's pretty a normal speech impediment. Water is another funny one - 'I need some wuh-dder.' She totally sounds Cajun or like she's in the Italian mob!

We had a really funny 'whose on first' conversation trying to ascertain if her friend at school was Wayne or Reign because she kept saying 'Wayne' but then saying I was wrong when I said 'Wayne'! Spoiler alert...it was Reign!

But the funniest was the other day when instead of saying 'or' it totally sounded like 'oi'! The big kids and I were cracking up, and Paige kept saying 'I don't sound like that.' Um sorry, sweetie, you totally do!

Please remind how cute I found all of this when we're doing our therapy in a year or two, okay?

Jacked up mouth and all...I sure do love this little girl!


2 comments:

Kathryn Bagley said...

I love the way little kids say things!!

Emily said...

"wuder" is very Philadelphian, too (hence Kate Winslet on "Mare of Easttown"). I don't have a keen ear for accents but in the middle of watching that show (and SNL's take on it), I went to the kids' school and the elderly secretary said she needed her "wuder" bottle and I cracked up.