Thursday, December 3, 2020

Monthly Musings: December

 I, once again, missed the actual link-up for this, but I love surveys AND Christmas, so this was a must for me!


1. Favorite holiday traditions?

Just doing all the things! Holiday cups from Starbucks, decorating gingerbread houses, decorating, driving around to look at lights, listening to Christmas carols. This time of year is so magical to me, and I love sharing it with the kids. Brent is not a really big cram-it-down-your-throat holiday guy, but he humors a lot of what I enjoy doing, thankfully! [To be honest, this working from home for him made me nervous since I play Christmas carols non-stop, but he's handling it okay so far...but I've also worn earbuds a lot more than I otherwise would have ha. That's compromise in marriage, folks! {grin}

2. Must have holiday wardrobe staples?

I love Christmas shirts/outfits/pajamas! I basically want to look like a walking Christmas card from December 1-25 and love when the kids join me. Brent and Trent, as you can guess, hate it all, but the girls love dressing up with me!

In one of my favorite pocket tees!

Y'all know I love me some Eleanor Rose matching outfits!

3. Favorite holiday recipe/dish?

My Granny's Christmas wreaths!

Eating them with my sister in 2013

I also really love my mother-in-law's Cranberry tea recipe. {tea, cranberry juice, lemon juice, sugar - very easy and so yummy!}

4. What will your holiday plans look like this year?

As of right now, our holiday will look mostly normal. We don't have to travel to see our parents, so we will hopefully be able to see them! We will spend time with both sets of our immediate families, but we won't see extended family. Both of Brent's grandmothers are still alive, and we don't want to risk their health.

We will spend Christmas Eve with my family {this is a change-up from years past but is due to us trying to do too much on Christmas day}, then wake up Christmas morning at home and do all our presents, and end Christmas day at Brent's parents' house.

5. Favorite holiday song?

I have to separate this between old school and new music. I used to be ONLY a traditionalist when it came to Christmas carols, but I have changed my tune on this in the last 5 years or so.

Traditional Christmas carol: The Christmas Song by Nat King Cole, you cannot top this! I also love Andy Williams singing just about anything!

New Christmas carol: That's Christmas to Me by Pentatonix

6. Does COVID-19 make you want to do up the holiday or make you not into it?

I want to have as much fun as we possibly can. We are lucky that we don't travel for Christmas, so ours can be relatively the same. I still want to do everything we can do. 

7. Do you have any charities you like to help this time of year?

We don't have any specific charities we ALWAYS support, but we do give this time of year. We've adopted families, donated gifts at our church, donated to our local food pantries, etc. This year, however, I want the kids to see it and participate as well, so I think we're going to buy/donate some toys, there's a coat drive happening and we have extra coats, and I'm going to steal Natasha's Reverse Advent Calendar so the kids can help me gather food to take to the food bank.

8. Tree before or after Thanksgiving?

Can I answer that 'somewhere around then'? The kids have the whole week of Thanksgiving off, and I don't host Thanksgiving, so we do all our Christmas decorating that week. This year, the outside was decorated in early November {#suckitcovid}, the inside besides the tree was done the Monday/Tuesday of Thanksgiving week, and the tree went up Friday.

9. Favorite holiday movie?

I can't decide between these 2 - very different, but I love them both so much!

10. Egg nog...yes or no?

Okay, so here's the thing. I hate eggs. Like for real HATE them. So I've never tried egg nog because just the thought of it grosses me out. I have no idea what it tastes like, so this answer is based on my prejudice against the name! But my answer is NO.



3 comments:

Kathryn Bagley said...

So my fav Christmas song is Where are you Christmas by Faith Hill and my new fav is Underneath the Tree by Kelly Clarkson-like i jam out to that in the car when it comes on. Fav holiday movie is Elf..ha! I love the idea of the reverse advent calendar! I do plan on coming home for Christmas so hopefully we can catch up??

Emily said...

This should tell you something about my mental state that I read this blogpost, then got distracted, then came back and wondered: "wait did I comment yet?" I truly don't know. So if so, here's my commenting again. I LOVE THAT YOU HATE EGGS. We share that great hatred. I also love all Christmas things and Adam ... tolerates, at best... so we are very alike there. :) I grew up loving White Christmas so that's also very nostalgic to me. I prefer Home Alone 3 because I am weird but I do still appreciate Home alone.

Natasha said...

I never thought about having Dave work from home this year would affect how I play Christmas music. Thankfully he's up in our bedroom so can't hear it.

We got our first Starbucks holiday cups yesterday and I thought of you!

Are there measurements for the cranberry tea? I want to make it but how much of each thing do I add? It sounds yummy!