Wednesday, July 18, 2018

The Great Sheet Debate

Y'all.

I have a serious question for y'all. 

This is a constant debate in my marriage that is bleeding over into my family.

DO YOU USE A FLAT SHEET?

Brent HATES the flat sheet and refuses to sleep under it. For years, he pushed it to the bottom of the bed, but now he has taken to sleeping on top of it while I sleep under it.

That's weird, right?

BUT...if that wasn't bad enough - now my children refuse to sleep with a flat sheet. Trent pulls his quilt completely untucked and makes a little nest for himself, and Drew won't even sleep under her quilt anymore - she sleeps under a little blanket.

Is this hereditary? Am I the oddball here? I need some support that flat sheets aren't nuts!

Also, thoughts on me cutting my king-sized sheet in half to make Brent and me both happy? {grin}

5 comments:

Natasha said...

If by "flat sheet" you mean "top sheet" I also HATE them. In fact, I hate them so much that Dave has learned to sleep without them. We use duvets and wash the covers so we don't need flat sheets.

Ironically I have been using them on the kids' beds and they don't seem to have any issues with them.

And if you can convince Brent to saw your bed in half keep the arguments in your back pocket so I can use them on Dave! Ha! He's a blanket stealer -- so much so that every once in awhile I declare "It's separate blanket night" so that he can't steal the covers and I get a good night's sleep.

Kathryn Bagley said...

omg I NEED to sleep under a sheet! Maybe I feel "safer" with an extra layer of protection over me..but i cant just sleep under the comforter (it makes me feel weird..ha). I support you!

Erika said...

Oh we absolutely use flat sheets!! I can't imagine going without!!

Shannon Sentences said...

I prefer to sleep only under the flat sheet, especially in the summer time in Texas! Definitely on team flat sheet!

Emily said...

I like the flat sheet for temperature regulation reasons (aka: it’s cooler than a comforter) but to me there is a hygienic reason as well. I believe it is a widely accepted practice to regularly wash the sheets, correct? So I view the top sheet rather like underwear & jeans. Just like you wash your underwear every day, you don’t have to wash your jeans every day because the underwear creates a barrier between your particular body parts to the jeans. Similarly, while you need to wash your sheets regularly (every week? Two weeks? Once a month? It varies), the top sheet ensures you don’t need to wash your comforter on the same schedule. My washer isn’t big enough to hold our comforter so we take it to the dry cleaner every few months. I note that Natasha says she washers the duvet cover, which would be a perfect solution to those who hate the top sheets, except I hate redoing a duvet cover more than I hate the top sheet. :)