Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Strep Throat - 3, Drew - 0

For the 3rd time since March 30, Drew tested positive for strep throat last week.


Poor sick little sweetie

For this slightly crunchy mama, 3 rounds of antibiotics in less than 2 months is KILLING me. {For the record, she had ONE dose in her first 5 years of life and now, BAM, 3 in a row. Boo.}

We're doing double probiotics, extra Vitamin C and D, ImmunoPRP spray, basically throwing the kitchen sink at her to boost her poor little immune system. 2018 has not been her friend! The flu and 3 rounds of strep, and it's barely June.

Our next step is a referral to an ENT. Our pediatrician's office told me that recurrent strep throat isn't reason enough to immediately schedule a tonsillectomy, so we need to discuss the options, pros, cons, etc. The nurse practitioner who examed Drew this last time did say her tonsils are enlarged, and she snores a little, so who knows what the ENT will suggest. I'm not sure which way I want this to go because surgery is never at the top of the list of things I want for my children - I just know I want my baby to stop getting sick! 

4 comments:

Natasha said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. And I'm sorry you have some potentially hard decisions ahead. Yuck.

I don't know if it will help or not but my friend's son has had strep a whole bunch this past school year. She told me that he has now been diagnosed as a "strep carrier" so they have to do a different routine with him to keep him healthy. If this is annoying unsolicited information, I apologize. I just didn't realize people could be permanent strep carriers.

Kathryn Bagley said...

Praying Drew is feeling better!

Anonymous said...

Do you have any homeopathic doctors around? My family had a great experience with homeopathy and when it works it pretty much uproots the disease (whatever made you susceptible to catching it).

Emily said...

Poor thing! I was always super prone to strep throat and even still if anyone within a 5 mile radius gets it, I will too. It sucks.