Friday, January 5, 2018

December 2017 Book Review


Guys, I think I had a really strong December! 5 really enjoyable books and several of them with some weight to them too.


Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate - A historical fiction story about 5 poor siblings stolen from their family during the 1930s. Georgia Tann was a real woman considered the 'mother of modern adoption' who was actually doing really terrible things to get children to sell and also treating those children terrible. By some, she is considered the most prolific serial killer because over 500 children died under her care for almost 30 years. This story jumped from the present where Avery is realizing there is some connection from her family to this horrible part of Tennessee history to the past where Rill and her 4 siblings are going through a living nightmare. OMG this story was TOUGH to read at times - especially knowing it was based on history but it was also SO GOOD. I loved it so, so much!

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas - Starr is riding in a car with her friend when they get pulled over by the police, and her friend is shot by the officer. Was it a racially motivated murder or a cop just doing his job? This was such an important book to read in today's society where prejudice is still all too prevalent - in my comfortable white life, I need to read more stories like this. 

When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon - This was definitely the cheesiest book I read this month, but it was a relatively fun read. Dimple and Rishi's parents want to set them up {unbeknownest to Dimple} and hilarity ensues when they do meet. Dimple is AGAINST everything traditionally Indian while Rishi is definitely FOR it - it was fun seeing their different perspectives although a smidge too YA.

The Chilbury Ladies' Choir by Jennifer Ryan - A WW2 drama set in England about women of the homefront - LOVED IT! The story jumps from 5 different perspectives told through their journal entries and letters - the way the story was told kept it fast paced and there were enough storylines going to make it very interesting.

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - Liesel steals her first book the day her brother dies - on a train on the way to their foster family in the early days of WW2 in Germany. The narrator is Death - such a unique way to tell the story - and it took me a little bit to get into a groove with the way the story is told {each part is about a different book Liesel steals}, but this was wonderfully written and such a good story. There aren't many books that I've come across that are from the German side, and even though they were the bad guys, there were still a lot of innocent 'regular' people starving, struggling to get by, being bombed by the Allies, oppressed by Nazis...it was good to remember war and Death doesn't distinguish good from bad. A really great book to end 2017.

I read 58 books in 2017 - I read 75 in 2016 - so this was a slower year for me {damn post-partum!}, but I'm hoping for at least 60 in 2018 - the POPSUGAR book challenge Allison and I are going to do has 40 prompts, plus 10 in the bonus which I bet we'll have to get into to declare a winner, so I have got to get after it! Here's to a great year of reading!

3 comments:

Emily said...

Oh my that first book just sounds horrific. Like I got stressed out reading your review! I had no idea this was a thing (aside from a few modernLaw & Order SUV episodes about similar topics). The other books, definitely! I loved The Hate U Give and I agree I need to read more of those. I’ve had the Book Thief on my list ever since I started reading again (years ago!) and maybe it’s finally time to get it from the library!

Kathryn Bagley said...

I think we just added Before we were yours to our BC list for this year! I'm going to have to check out you and Allison's challenge :)

Natasha said...

I've now read all of these except The Chilbury Ladies' Choir so I'm going to check it out. Before We Were Yours and The Hate U Give are two great books!