Friday, November 3, 2017

October 2017 Books


Last month was kind of a dud with giving anyone suggestions for stuff worth reading, so I hope I did better this month! {grin}



The Guest Cottage by Nancy Thayer - 2 people end up renting the same summer cottage by mistake just as their lives are at crisis points - sounds like your typical Hallmark movie, right? It started out that way, and I had a hard time getting into at first. But it got better as it went on, and I found myself really enjoying it by the end. A light, fun read for sure!

The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh - I think this is my money maker for the month. My mother-in-law gave me this book, and I'm so glad she did. The main character, Victoria, is the product of a broken foster care system and uses flowers to communicate {her one almost successful adoption is where she learned about flowers} and navigate the world after aging out. I couldn't put this book down and loved watching her evolve. Toward the end, something happens that was really uncomfortable for me to read as a mother. It wasn't bad, just hard. I almost couldn't finish it, but I knew my mother-in-law wouldn't have given me something BAD because she knows how sensitive I can be about certain subjects. I put that in there as a disclaimer so I don't blindside anyone {ahem, Emily, with the Oliver storyline in Cancel the Wedding}. With that aside, this book was excellent!

Wool and Shift by Hugh Howey - My most recent dystopian trilogy! The first book, Wool, follows a society that lives in a silo underground and all we know about earth is it is a toxic wasteland that will kill you. People are sent outside to clean the cameras that offer a view of the landscape as a punishment for crimes and their bodies dot the landscape. The silo needs a new sheriff and Juliette uncovers secrets of the silo. In Shift, you find out HOW we got to people living underground in a silo - starting back in 2050 before the disaster - going all the way to where the story left off in Wool. I've really enjoyed this series so far and am looking forward to seeing how it gets tied up. I wouldn't say this one is YA necessarily - it has some plot points I don't think I'd want a pre-teen reading - but it definitely fits that Hunger Games family.

I've got a lot of stuff reserved that I'm really excited about, so here's hoping November turns out great. Happy reading!

4 comments:

Emily said...

Thank you! I mean I still like “cancel the wedding,” but I just bawled my eyes out for a while! I may skip this one and finally dip my toe into the dystopian series. I’ve tried some like this before but other than Hinger Games and Divergent, have never finished.

Kathryn Bagley said...

Language of flowers sounds interesting and is the guest cottage a love story?!

Erika said...

OK so I am like halfway through Shift and like...I've been halfway through for 2 weeks. I like it? But it just isn't compelling me to power through the way I do most books. I can't decide if I'm going to finish it...I want to because I LOVED Wool, and honestly I think the premise of Shift is fascinating...but it's just dragging for me!!

Natasha said...

The Language of Flowers is currently sitting on my TBR pile. I think I know what I'm picking up next :)