Thursday, June 2, 2016

May 2016 Reads

It's one of my favorite posts of the month, but I think one that bores my readers the most. {grin}


It might not seem impressive that I only read 4 books this month, but one of them was 1,400 pages, so I was super stoked that I finished it and the other 3!


A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin - May could be called 'Allena's Game of Thrones month'. I caught up on season 5 of the show, started season 6, and read the 3rd book in the series. I am a huge GoT fan, and these 1,400 pages didn't disappoint! But I will probably take a break before starting the 4th - they are just so much work!

Bare Bones by Bobby Bones - I have been listening to Bobby Bones on the radio for over 12 years. When I found out he was writing a book, I was so excited. It was just stories from his life, and any fan of his show would enjoy it. After being a listener for so many years, I didn't find too many surprises and honestly wish he would have told more stories. But overall a fun read!

In the Unlikely Event by Judy Blume - This is an 'adult' book written by Judy Blume. I read so much of her stuff as a kid and loved it all. I felt the same way about this book which is based on a series of true events from her teenage years in Elizabeth, NJ - when 3 planes crashed in her hometown in a span of 2 months. The story follows intertwined characters who see, are connected to, and/or impacted by these crashes. Fascinating story! I wasn't totally crazy about the ending but it was a great read that sucked me in from page 1.

Natural Born Charmer by Susan Elizabeth Phillips - Susan Elizabeth Phillips is like Nora Roberts 2.0 for me. I've read a ton of her books and love them all. She write quirky stories with memorable characters and this story was no exception. I read it in about 2 days {of course reading over vacation always means I eat through books} and really enjoyed a fluffy read after some more serious reads this month.

I'm already starting June off with a bang with a book I've been on the waiting list for about 2 months as well as our book club book - can't wait to see how they turn out and share!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not bored!!! Read the Judy Blume book - thumbs up! On hold at library for Bobby Bones (or you if I ever see you). Don't think I'll be reading the 1,400 pager. Zzzz. Can't wait to see your June list. I need some new recommendations. - AP

Kathryn Bagley said...

I'm with AP..none of your posts are boring to me! And I'm excited to be starting a "real" BC and start my first book this month! :)

Heather said...

Hi! I used your "recent reads" to select some books to buy in iBooks for my trip to Seattle. I read "the nightingale" and "me before you". Now that I'm home I went to the library and checked out the Judy Blume book and the Susan Phillips book. Thank you for the great recommendations!

Karen Peterson said...

I still need to read the most recent GoT book. I think it's the 5th? Right? He's currently working on #6? I don't know, I get all confused. They're good, but they are such a commitment!