Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Do...Do...Do...What?

Today was another step on the natural birth journey. I went to a 'tea' with the doula collective I hired to meet their wonderful doulas, one of whom will help during our delivery of Baby Gurl!

What is a doula? A birth doula is a trained professional who provides physical comfort measures, emotional support, and information to help parents make informed decisions during labor and birth.

Essentially, given Brent and my's 1 experience at childbirth was medicated and very clinical, we're pretty much dumb when it comes to natural childbirth. I really felt unsure how to handle the experience without some help from someone who knew what they were doing. Ashlee and Heather, who both had natural births, talked about how key it was to have a support person. So I asked my midwife what she thought, and she agreed that it is essential to have someone whose sole job is to ensure you get the birth you want {or as much as it's possible}. She recommended Get Babied. I spent just a little bit of time on their website and was hooked, ha. They have several opportunities throughout the month to get to know them, and tonight I went to their tea. It was awesome! What was funny was I was the only mommy there without their partner. And I wasn't wearing my wedding ring. I felt so awkward, haha.

What is so amazing about a doula is their job is to help you have the birth experience you want. Whether it's a natural or medicated birth, a c-section, a hospital or home birth, their job is to support YOU!

So one more thing checked off our list!

5 comments:

KristenW said...

So happy you loved them. You can totally do this.

KristenW said...

So happy you loved them. You can totally do this.

Anonymous said...

Kristen is so happy you loved them and believes you can totally do this. - B

Pink said...

Soon, your title will be, "Do-do-do, Dora!" LOL

Anonymous said...

Ha! Brent is funny! Allison