Monday, March 28, 2011

Baby Time Is Close!

Patty thought she was in labor yesterday.  My sister is not one to get emotional (God saved the dramatics for me), but when we talked on the phone we both teared up, and she asked me to come over.  Of course I said yes!  Turns out it wasn't labor, but it just really makes it sink in that this baby is almost here!  I am SO excited to be an aunt (again).  Brent and I are not ready for another baby of our own, but I look forward to spoiling this babe like no one but an aunt can do. 

I keep thinking about what life was like before Miles was born (and Trent).  Patty and I were both SO naive about what motherhood would be like.  I feel like the bloom is definitely off the rose on this one, and it kind of makes me sad.  This baby deserves for us both to be super excited about his/her (but we all know I'm right and this baby is a girl) arrival...and we both keep thinking about how HARD it is...sleepless nights, crying (both the baby and the parents), I keep thinking about my post partum issues with Trent.  So keeping that in mind, I vow to do whatever I can for my sister to ease her load.  It is definitely such hard work to care for a baby, to be entrusted with something so infinitely precious as life, to have a hand in raising this child into an adult, but it is life's biggest blessing and worth all the sacrifice.  We both remember (too vividly) how hard it is, so I am going to focus on the magic - of being someone's mommy - and welcome this baby with such joy!  Come on, baby, come on!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh I am going to keep Patty in my prayers! I actually think that knowing what you went through makes it easier for me to imagine having a baby. I think the idea that it will be perfect and so wonderful all the time is one of the reasons it can be so hard that first time. It is like you feel blindsided, no? All I know is that watching you in a raw way has made me more relaxed about it and knowing what reality may be like. Now if only my body would give me a baby...karma's a bitch.

plauschinat said...

What a great post. It is crazy how something can simultaneously be so wonderful and so scary/hard. I will be thinking about and praying for Patty these next few weeks.