Tuesday, March 8, 2011

An Unhappy First

Today I gave Trent his first spanking.  I almost cried.  Brent and I have discussed spankings many, many times and have been unsure of the right time to start.  We have always said we didn't want that to be our 'go to' form of punishment, but with our hard-headed son, it was becoming inevitable that this might be one of the few things that would work...  What felt right (and I use that word loosely) was as a punishment for deliberate, willful disobedience.  Today, he kept kicking me while I was trying to change his diaper.  I grabbed his legs and told him not to kick mommy.  He smiled at me and kicked again.  I warned him that he would get a spanking if he kicked me again.  He smiled and kicked.  Pop!  He teared up a little and said 'spank' but then proceeded to get 2 more spankings for continuing to kick me.  Seriously?!  Am I a horrible mommy?  I know I'm not but sometimes I sure feel like it!

8 comments:

Mrs SarahB said...

I have been pondering this as well. Timeout is a joke right now. I have tried talking sternly about whatever the deliberate act is but he just laughs in my face! I need to read the five parenting books that I have purchased but have yet to read.

Jenni said...

You are not a bad mom! I know exactly what you are going through. It is definitely not our first line of defense either, but sometimes she keeps pushing until there are no other options.

The Krause's said...

Do not be hard on yourself! Spanking is never an easy thing to do. I don't like doing it either, but good grief those boys test limits sometimes ;) Porter has had a few pops himself.

Kelly said...

My brother and I both were spanked kids. It seemed to be the form of punishment that worked best for us when we were younger. When we got older my parents moved on to taking things away (i.e. video games and phone priveledges) and then we evolved to being grounded from seeing friends. I don't think there is a right way to do things. What works for one family may not work for another. You are not a bad mom...and as unforunate as it is it IS important for Trent to know that you are the boss, not him. Hang in there...I still think you are fabulous!

Hanna said...

I second what everyone else has said. My parents spanked my sisters and me. We're not scarred for life and have vowed to do the same if that's what works. Being a good parent isn't about doing what's easy. :-)

A Real Housewife said...

you are NOT a horrible mommy!! a spanking is not a beating and will not scar your child. we definitely plan to use the spanking method when necessary. you are not alone!

Anonymous said...

Well said above, a spanking is not a beating. I quickly realized that a good pop is really needed sometimes with these little boys. Just wait until he's a little older and really doing bad stuff on purpose or once you have another little one in the mix. Sometimes, a good spanking is needed!! They quickly forget about it and still love you! ~LL

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't really call that a spanking. He had his leg popped. He'll find out what a spanking is if he's anything like his daddy. - B