Wednesday, April 3, 2024

March 2024 Book Review

So I had a goal to read less this year {a very atypical goal}, BUT I am doing a terrible job at it - I read 13 books this month. Oops.


This was also an excellent month of reading - I had three 5-star reads this month and a 4.5! 5 were audiobooks {this is largely why my monthly read count is still high}, and the range of topics was wide - romance, US history, fantasy, memoirs...lots of stuff - there should be a book for anyone here.


Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston [audiobook] - I had never heard of this book before but realized it's been around for a VERY long time and is often a book read in high schools! I thoroughly enjoyed this story about a Black woman's journey from young adult to grown woman in the 1920s. This was so good, I really enjoyed it - although you can guess from the subject matter that it isn't a really 'happy' book. I also thought the narrator was fantastic!


Things We Hide From the Light and Things We Left Behind by Lucy Score - I finished this trilogy and overall really enjoyed it. It is overwrought and at times ridiculous, but I also really enjoyed these characters and being in this little town.


Band of Brothers by Stephen E. Ambrose [audiobook] - Brent and I just finished watching Masters of the Air and it got us back into this WW2 world, and I've wanted to read this book for years, so I finally did! Brent and I are also re-watching Band of Brothers right now, and I'm enjoying watching it after reading this. It's such a good book and good look into life during this time period in our history. I thoroughly enjoyed and think anyone who is interested in history will like as well.


South to America by Imani Perri [audiobook] - This was a really interesting look at specific states/areas of the South and how they are still effected by the history of slavery. It was a really timely read as well because it covered the real town the main character in Their Eyes Were Watching God lived in and I'd never heard of the town. I continue to enjoy learning about our history and working on my own education.


Ruthless Vows by Rebecca Ross - This was the 2nd book in a duology about rival reporters who fall in love via magical typewriters during a war of the Gods. This should have been right up my alley but I found both books boring. I forced myself to finish this and really wish I had DNF'd it, which is a bummer.


Search the Dark by Charles Todd - This is the 3rd Inspector Ian Rutledge mystery novel I've read. My mom bought me at least 10 for Christmas last year, and I'm slowly working my way through them. These are set in the years after WW1 and Ian is dealing with PTSD {before it had a name} and is solving crimes all over England. The stories are entertaining and I like Ian!


Happily Never After by Lynn Painter - I love Lynn Painter, but this wasn't my favorite of hers. I struggle with a premise that feels too far outside of reality, and that was this one. 


Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by JK Rowling - Finally started this series with Paige, and she's loving it!! This is OBVIOUSLY a favorite of mine. {grin}


The Idea of You by Robinne Lee - Okay. I absolutely loved this book and was also gutted by it. It was one I couldn't stop thinking about FOR DAYS. It is about a 40-year-old woman who begins a relationship with a 20-year-old boy bander. It sounds silly, but it was anything but! It addressed ageism, fame, sexuality, gender roles...SO MUCH. I cannot wait for this movie!!


Tom Lake by Ann Patchett [audiobook] - I ADORED this! I would have loved it no matter what but Meryl Streep's narration took this up a notch - she was amazing. This story follows a family {mom, dad, 3 grown daughters} who are all back together on their family cherry farm during the early days of the quarantine and the mom is telling a story of her short-lived time as an actor. Both timelines were equally compelling, but I especially loved Ann Patchett's writing about motherhood in the present timeline. She nailed the emotions that come with being a mother - I smiled, I teared up, I just loved it.


The Violence Inside Us by Chris Murphy - Oh my goodness. We read this in Blog Friend Book Club and IT WAS A DOOZY. Chris Murphy did a great job writing about a very challenging subject - he went back and forth between the history of violence and guns but also interspersed with personal stories and his own journey to be the warrior for gun reform that he is. I cried numerous times {was SOBBING at the end} and wish he was a Senator for Texas - we need more leaders like him. I wish everyone would read this book. It was very hard but so good and so important.


Only Say Good Things by Crystal Hefner [audiobook] - I am embarrassed to admit I used to watch Girls Next Door and while I didn't understand that lifestyle I thought 'to each their own' and didn't realize the toxic, abusive environment it was. I have now read Holly Madison's book and watched a documentary about all the terrible things that happened at the Playboy Mansion and in Playboy clubs, etc. I was really curious about Crystal's book because I noticed she has always kept quiet and didn't participate in the documentary I watched. So I definitely wanted to listen to her book. It was very interesting and really seemed to mirror the experiences of so many other women. It is beyond disturbing the way people with power can manipulate and hurt others! I wouldn't say this was the most amazing book every, but she shared A LOT of insider information that I found fascinating, I'm very glad I read! I do wonder why she has kept the name Hefner... It is interesting to me, though, that she kept the last name Hefner. You are now sharing how you were abused by this person, never loved them, etc. but you kept their name? Anyhoo, it was a good read!

And THAT was my month, whew. My monthly average was a 4, which is the highest I've had in quite a while, had quite a few really good ones this month!


1 comments:

Natasha said...

You skipped writing about three books including MY amazing book club pick :) Ruthless Vows does sound like it would be so good but I won't be checking it out.