Wednesday, February 8, 2023

2023 Goals

Well, just about 10% of 2023 has already passed by, and I'm still noodling on goals for 2023, ha. I don't have a huge list - which is probably a good thing! - but I'm going to go ahead and put it out in the world!

I've broken my goals out into some categories - first, I have a word of the year. Then I have specific goals - physical goals, family goals, book goals {of course}.

WORD OF THE YEAR

Intentional

I want to be doing more things with intention this year. And I think my individual goals reflect this. I can get lazy or complacent and let life just go on without much thought. I want to be doing more with my time that means something - personally, with my family and friends, with the kids.

**********GOALS**********

PHYSICAL GOALS

1) Flexibility - I have definitely noticed an increase in my flexibility in the last few years as I've increased my participation in Pilates and Yoga. But I'm still not super consistent and would like to work on stretching and flexibility.

2) Weight Loss - Is it a yearly goal setting post for Allena if she doesn't talk about wanting to lose Paige's baby weight? {grin} Here we are again! BUT I had some good success in the last few months of 2022 and am slowly moving in the right direction.

FAMILY/HOUSE GOALS

1) Time with kids/Brent - I would like to spend more meaningful {dare I say intentional?} time together. As a family - group outings, game nights, as a wife - watching shows together, dates, as a mother - one-on-one dates, conversations.

2) Cleaning every day - I want to get the kids more involved in taking responsibility for the house. There are a few things they are responsible for {unloading the dishwasher, unpacking groceries, helping with laundry}, but there is still so much I do. To the point I am angry at the end of the day. And that is just ridiculous when our kids are 13, 10, and 6! Also, I want to take little breaks during the day and do 5 minutes of chores. 

3) Organizing - Brent is on an organizing kick, and I want to follow suit. Just little things like cleaning out the junk drawer, organizing the coat closet, etc. Tackle a small project each week or a big project over a month.

4) Family Vacation - We had so much fun in 2022 with trips {Ruidoso, Napa, Hilton Head, and Hawaii}, and while we can't repeat that quantity of trips exactly, I do want to make a family trip happen annually.

BOOK GOALS

1) 100 books - I am sticking with my tried and true 100 books/year goal. I really thought about going up this year, but given I want to spend more time with my family, this seemed counterintuitive!

2) Physical books cleanup - I am going to go through the physical books I have and make a list of at least 10 that I've had for years. By the end of the year, I need to have read them or I'm getting rid of them.

3) Goodreads TBR - I want to read my 10 oldest Goodreads books - or delete them if I haven't read them within a year. The are:
    1-Little Women
    2-White Awake
    3-Stamped from the Beginning
    4-We Just Clicked
    5-A Gentleman in Moscow [I have a physical copy]
    6-A Hundred Summers
    7-The Red Tent [I have a physical copy]
    8-Life of Pi
    9-The Poisonwood Bible
    10-Roots


4 comments:

Jinjer-The Intrepid Angeleno said...

Oh I want to do that with my 10 oldest books on Goodreads! Let me see what they are:

A Tale of Love and Darkness by Amos Oz
Death's Bright Dart by V.C. Clinton-Baddeley
Catherine The Great: Portrait of a Woman by Robert Massie
Slow Motion: A True Story by Dani Shapiro
Vivian Maier (Photographer): Out of the Shadows
A Little Life by Hanya Yanagiahara
Paris by Edward Rutherfurd
Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty
The Girls by Emma Cline
The Nest by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney

Natasha said...

I too am trying to be more intentional about date nights with Dave this year. And I am envious about a bunch of your Goodreads TBR books -- Stamped From The Beginning, A Gentleman In Moscow, The Red Tent, The Poisonwood Bible...

Emily said...

I love all these book goals! Also, how many physical books do you own? Do you buy them or are they handed down to you? The "Poisonwood Bible" was on my TBR for years then when I did a ruthless clean-out to get it under 100 books, Poisonwood got the boot. That said, I think it would make a great book club book and you should definitely suggest it for us next time!

Kathryn Bagley said...

Love your goals and your word! Just being more present and in the moment I think is a great goal! The years just seem to go by so fast now..it's crazy! My goal is to try and read more than just the BC books..ha!