Friday, December 1, 2017

Oscar Movie Review: Lady Bird

Allison and I have been eagerly anticipating starting our Oscar movie watch for a few month, and we're finally able to get to the movies, yay! This year has been kind of slow for movies for us as I adjusted to another kid, so for lots of reasons it's exciting that we're back at it. {grin}

Our first movie of Oscar season was Lady Bird starring Saoirse Ronan who we both LOVED from Brooklyn.

Plot: In the early 2000s, an artistically-inclined seventeen year-old comes of age in Sacramento, California.

Review: Once again, Saoirse did a great job as the lead character, Christine 'Lady Bird'. It was fun to go back to the early 2000s and watch Lady Bird come into her own during her senior year of HS at a Catholic school where she doesn't feel like she fits in. I know I laughed A LOT at some of the Catholic references - to the point where I think Allison was embarrassed to be sitting next to me. The movie felt pretty real to me with moments of humor, friendship growing pains, mother-daughter struggles, finding your place in your family, young love... Where the movie lost me is it felt really similar to Boyhood but not as cool since Boyhood was filmed over 10 years. I can understand the potential Oscar nomination, but if Boyhood couldn't win Best Picture, I'm doubting this can. If Saoirse gets a Best Actress nod, it will totally be deserved. Rating: B+

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You didn't embarass me! I just didn't get all the Catholic references. And I thought it was about LBJ! It was neat seeing the stuff from the early 2000s again & going back to that time. Sideways thumb on the plot. On to the next one! - AP

Emily said...

People have raved over and over about this movie but it just looks... boring! Terribly judgmental I guess but the commercials for it haven’t been very enticing.