Sunday, July 19, 2015

YA Trilogies aka Books All 30-Something Moms Read

I think I've established a few things about myself that should be pretty obvious to anyone whose read my blog for a little while. 1) I like to read. 2) I like YA books...and Dystopian trilogies. 3) I love lists and comparisons. 4) I am a nerd.

With all that said, I wanted to talk about all the YA series that I've read over the past few years because I realize it's quite a few!

Hunger Games - Hunger Games was the first Dystopian trilogy I read, and it is probably still my favorite. I know some people thought the second book was a little boring or they weren't crazy about the ending, but I enjoyed all 3 books A LOT! I have also thought all the movies were really great.


Matched - I randomly read about this series on a blog a few years ago and gave it a try. I liked the first book, was a little bored with the second book, and I thought the 3rd book had a really strong comeback. I read that {big surprise} the film rights were sold, but I haven't heard anything more about a movie being made. This is probably my second favorite series - maybe tied with Legend.


Divergent - ugh. After staying up until 4:00 AM the day I got Divergent, I thought this series would be my favorite. The second book wasn't quite as good but was still really good. Then the 3rd book just took a 180 and was so slow and boring and had just the worst ending - it literally took me 18 months to read the 3rd book, and the only reason I finished was because I felt like I needed to! So disappointing. I did like the first 2 movies and will be curious how they make the 3rd book into a movie given the controversial ending...



Legend - I just heard about Legend this fall when all 3 books were already out - definitely made me happy to not have to wait in between books.  I thought this one lacked some character development and there could have been more about the backstory, but overall I really liked it. The ending of the series was a little bit different but I dug it. Definitely near the top of the list for me.


The Giver - I quickly read all of these in about a month and found them fun. Definitely {in my opinion} these would be geared towards the youngest of YA readers - I felt like there could have been a lot more character and overall plot development. If Allegiant hadn't killed all my liking for the Divergent series this would probably be at the bottom of my list, but I definitely liked them.



Any other YA books I should be reading?

2 comments:

Kathryn Bagley said...

Girl did you confuse Hunger Games with Divergent cause the second movie hasn't come out yet for Divergent!! One of the girls in my program has been reading Beautiful Creatures..not sure what it's about but she loves it! Paper towns looks kinda good also (from the movie at least)

Karen Peterson said...

The only one of these I've read is Hunger Games, which I loved. I think I've avoided the others because I've heard none of them are as good and I guess I just kind of figure, "What's the point?"