Thursday, March 6, 2014

Book Club Book Review: World War Z

We had another book club meeting last week and Heather picked a book I probably wouldn't have ever picked myself, World War Z. But given she married the man who picked Invisible Monsters, I think I should always expect something out of my 'norm' from these 2!


Plot The novel is a collection of individual accounts, where the narrator is an agent of the United Nations Postwar Commission following the global conflict against the zombie plague. Other passages record a decade-long desperate struggle, as experienced by people of various nationalities. The personal accounts also describe the social, political, religious and environmental changes that resulted from the devastating war.

Review: I would say I liked this book but didn't LOVE it. It was definitely a unique book and an interesting way of telling the story. There were lots of really interesting twists and the way it jumped around definitely kept me intrigued. Where I had trouble was that there isn't a main character(s). It was hard for me to connect with anyone because there is only 1 chapter of a character's story. It's just little snapshots. So the snapshots were really neat and gave us lots of stuff to talk about in book club, but it didn't GRAB me like it might have if there were a few characters to follow...

I'm up next and am stumped on what to pick!

1 comments:

Karen M. Peterson said...

I didn't realize there wasn't a main character.

It does sound interesting though. I think I'll give it a read.