Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Book Review: Invisible Monsters

Our 2nd book club selection was Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk.

Synopsis: Meet the protagonist of this high stakes tale of a high fashion model. She’s got everything: a great career, a boyfriend, a loyal best friend. But a terrible accident leaves this beauty a hideous monster with only half a face! In fact, no one will even acknowledge she’s alive until she meets Brandy Alexander, Queen Supreme, who’s one operation away from being a woman. She teaches her how to reinvent herself into something better and how to get revenge on her two-timing ex-boyfriend and back-stabbing best friend in Chuck Palahniuk’s Invisible Monsters. {via}



Review:  I realized that I like/love every book I review on my blog.  And duh I pick books that are in my genre.  I like happy fiction - romances, chick lit, YA...not surprising if you've followed my blog for awhile.  This book?  Ugh.  I hated it.  I hated the characters - I really thought they were all disgusting people with zero redeeming qualities.  BUT one of our friends made a very good point.  I had a strong reaction to this book, which would probably make the author happier than if I'd been indifferent.  But yeah, NOT going on my top 10 list!  The book did give us a lot to think about and the discussion was great.  So I guess another {small} point for the book.  Ha!

So back to YA and chick lit I go. {grin}

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting. So did anyone in your book club like the book or were all of their takes similar to yours?

Hanna said...

All of the books that author writes are sick and twisted. And you are right, he does it for the reaction. I think his point is to disgust the readers. I'm not a fan of his either. :-)