Monday, September 30, 2013

Real Food: Week 2

Before I get into this week's challenge, I wanted to talk about how Week 1 ended. The challenge was to eat 2 fruits and/or vegetables at every meal. That totals to 42 servings of fruits/veggies. And I am proud to say I ate 39 servings! I only missed 3 during the whole week!!! Given the week before I maybe had 1 or 2, I'd say this was a HUGE success. My sister and several friends worked to increase their fruit and veggies this week, and I definitely loved having the texts and pictures and calls to keep my goals in my mind.

Now the 'rules' of the challenge say to do this anyway you want - build on the weeks, do them individually, survive 1 day. Whatever it takes to eat better. Well, for me, since this is a hopeful lifestyle adjustment, for the most part I intend to build upon these weeks. Some of the challenges will not be possible to maintain 100% {like this week's}, but I do hope to still see improvements over my current habits.

With that said...onto Week 2: Real Beverages: Beverages will be limited to coffee, tea, water, and milk (only naturally sweetened with a little honey or 100% pure maple syrup). One cup of juice will be allowed throughout the week, and wine (preferably red) will be allowed in moderation (an average of one drink per day).


This is going to be really tough for me. I remember a long time ago talking about drinks with my friend, Kelly. She said she never wanted to waste calories on drinks and was happy to drink water only all day. Not me! I am all about drinks. Chais, hot chocolate, kombucha, even {embarrassingly} coke. GASP! Yes, I know that is a ton of sugar and horrible for me {well, not the kombucha}. So this is not a challenge I intend to maintain for life, but if I can get from 4 chais a week to 1 or 2, I'll call it a success!

Anyone up for trying this one with me?

2 comments:

Dee Stephens said...

Good job!! You must feel so accomplished!

Kelly said...

You KILLED challenge one! WOO HOO! I am so proud of you! :) And yes, I still hate to waste calories on drinks. I am a water girl through and through. I do drink almond milk in the morning (straight up in a glass which grosses Keith out) but other than that I'm a water freak!