Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Emmys 2011 Fashion Rewind Gurley Gurl Style

I'm definitely in need of a light-hearted post after the ball of stress that has been our household lately.  So fasten your seatbelt and get ready...this is a long one! {grin}

I really feel like I saw very few dresses that I LOVED this year.  A lot that were just okay.  But only a few that I truly didn't like.

Eh Part 1
Zooey Deschanel - looks like a Barbie birthday cake or something
Katie Holmes - simple dress that is okay but the hair is awful
Taraji P. Henson - her dress did NOT fit, she had taco overhang at the top. Ugh.
 Kristen Wiig - that color looks BAD
Kathy Griffin - is it just me or does she always look like she's got on a bad prom dress?

Eh Part 2
Julianne Marguiles - I hated this look.  Messy hair and a body brace?
Rashida Jones - she looks pretty but not one of my favorites.
Heather Morris - one of many Glee stars who got it wrong! 
Jayma Mays - another Glee mishap - the color washes her out, the layers show a lack of curves. 
Elizabeth Moss - just so-so

Eh Part 3
Paula Abdul - on anybody else I'd say terrible, but it's such an improvement
Padma Lakshmi - for as beautiful as she is, I'm not impressed
Diana Agron - Glee girls - what is wrong with y'all?  This looks AWFUL!
Christina Hendricks - her body is insane but she dresses wrong so often!
Kaley Cuoco - hot mess
Amber Riley - I honestly dont' know what I think of this dress.  Maybe it just doesn't fit her right?

Finally some dresses I like!
Naya Rivera - the detailing was really beautiful
Minka Kelly - very unique, at first I wasn't crazy about it but it's grown on me.  Not my favorite but still very pretty.
Melissa McCarthy - she has a tough body to dress, but I thought she pulled it off.
Martha Plimpton - thought this dress fit her like a glove and was beautiful 
Julie Bowen - she needs to eat but the dress is very gorgeous
Jane Lynch - she looks amazing!

And just because I think this is funny -
how much does Claire Daines look like a repeat of last year??
This year is on the left, in case you couldn't tell!

Jennifer Carpenter, Julia Stiles, Maria Bello and Ellie Kemper
I think these all look lovely, like really, really pretty!

Lots of red! 
I LOVED Sofia Vergara and Nina Dobrev! 
Lea Michele would have looked better with her hair up. 
Kerry Washington looks hot! 
Kate Winslet looks great, but the dress is a little simple.

Couples Gone Wrong

The Good, the Okay and the Ugly
Gwenyth = the Ugly - any dress that makes her have a muffin top is WRONG
Kelly = the Good, HOT, HOT, HOT
Evan Rachel = the Okay

Best Dressed!
Cobie Smuthers -
I loved the color, I loved how it fit, I thought she looked AMAZING!

Worst Dressed
Paz de la Huerta
The hair, the skin color, the dress - I might have nightmares!

So there you have it!  The first award show. 
What did you think??


5 comments:

the blogivers said...

I'm going to have to agree with you on all accounts! I honestly can't get over how scary Paz de la Huerta looks... almost like Amy Winehouse. It's creeping me out.

Heather said...

I always look forward to your post of the Emmys. I love it! :)

Kelly said...

Even though I am in London I HAD to read the Emmy fashion post! ha! I didn't see them but in looking at your pictures the dresses are kind of underwhelming and Gywneth Paltrow's dress is is awful!

I also read your post from yesterday...hang in there...you are NOT a bad mom!

Carrie said...

My faves were Julia Stiles and Nina Dobrev, so beautiful! I'm a sucker for the red dresses, as much as I absolutely *hate* them on the red carpet. On their own, they're gorgeous.

plauschinat said...

I agree that a lot of the dresses were just okay...my favs were the two Modern Family ladies.