Friday, August 20, 2021

Movie Review: Respect

As is our tradition, Allison and I hit up a movie for our shared birthday month. She suggested Respect, and I was definitely intrigued because I literally knew nothing about Aretha Franklin as a person and thought this would be really interesting.


Plot: Following the rise of Aretha Franklin's career from a child singing in her father's church to her international stardom, Respect is the remarkable true story of the music icon's journey to find her voice.

Review: Wow, this was really spectacular. Aretha Franklin had SO much happen to her. I was stressed out for a good chunk of the movie and fascinated for the whole thing. I will say it felt a smidge long, but Allison and I both couldn't decide what could have been cut down. It was a fantastic movie, and I could see Jennifer Hudson winning an Oscar - she was incredible!



2 comments:

Kathryn Bagley said...

You'd be proud! I saw TWO movies last weekend! Jungle Cruise (super good) and Free Guy (another great one..hilarious!)

Emily said...

I also know nothing about Aretha Franklin except that "R-E-S-P-E-C-T" is the ringtone for when my mother calls me.