Friday, February 7, 2020

Academy Awards 2020 Predictions

It's Oscar time! The award show is a lot earlier this year, so I'm a little bummed that Allison and I didn't get everything watched. Out of the 9 Best Picture nominees I watched 8 movies! {The only one I didn't watch was Joker and I didn't want to see it - I felt my own struggles with anxiety would make this one a little too much for me.} I also watched 5 at home which always makes a different reaction. What's crazy this year is I liked almost everything I saw - that's definitely a rare event!

Note: If I highlighted it red, I didn't see it. If it's underlined, I watched it at home.

Best Supporting Actress
Kathy Bates, Richard Jewell
Laura Dern, Marriage Story
Scarlett Johansson, JoJo Rabbit
Florence Pugh, Little Women
Margot Robbie, Bombshell

My vote: Laura Dern was phenomenal in Marriage Story. I thought her acting and ever aspect of it - her makeup, hair, outfits, mannerisms - were so thought-out and perfect.

Best Supporting Actor
Tom Hanks, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
Anthony Hopkins, Two Popes
Al Pacino, The Irishman
Joe Pesci, The Irishman
Brad Pitt, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

My vote: Brad Pitt - I loved his character and the way he played him. I honestly fell asleep during The Irishman so no offense to those 2 guys but zzzzz.

Best Actress
Cynthia Erivo, Harriet
Scarlett Johansson, Marriage Story
Saiorse Ronan, Little Women
Charlize Theron, Bombshell
Renee Zellweger, Judy

My vote: Geez, I'd be happy with either Scarlett or Saiorse winning - I love Saiorse so much and would love to see her finally win, but Scarlett's performance in Marriage Story was really top notch.

Best Actor
Antonio Banderas, Pain and Glory
Leonardo DiCaprio, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Adam Driver, Marriage Story
Joaquin Phoenix, Joker
Jonathan Pryce, Two Popes

My vote: Adam Driver - I thought he was great!

Best Original Song
'I Can't Let You Throw Yourself Away', Toy Story 4
'(I'm Gonna) Love Me Again', Rocketman
'I'm Standing with You', Breakthrough
'Into the Unknown', Frozen 2
'Stand Up', Harriet

My vote: I added this category this year as it's really easy to listen to these songs ha. I know my girls would vote for 'Into the Unknown', and I do LOVE that song, but I thought 'Stand Up' was a really beautiful song and might be my favorite!

Best Picture
Ford v Ferrari
The Irishman
JoJo Rabbit
Joker
Little Women
Marriage Story
1917
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Parasite

My vote: 1917 or Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - I really liked 1917 as a story and as a production - it was made so well! Brent and I were both also really impressed by OUATIH - it seemed so realistic and it was so entertaining and then there was a huge twist at the end that made us both react!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You saw more than me (& I do kinda want to see Parasite still), but I’d have to agree: 1917 for the win! -AP

Emily said...

I only saw Marriage Story and Toy Story 4 (though I do plan to watch Two Popes at some point). Everyone’s acting in Marriage Story was great, but agreed Laura Dern especially. Acting aside, the movie was horrifically depressing lol

StephTheBookworm said...

Oh my goodness, I don't think I've seen ANY of these this year! I am on hold for Joker though, so hopefully that'll come in soon and I can finally see it!

Kathryn Bagley said...

I only know about these movies because of your reviews..ha!

Natasha said...

You know me, I haven't seen anything! You were spot on with your best supporting calls :) Do you think Parasite deserved to win Best Picture??? I'm curious as to what your thoughts are on that. (Sorry if you've blogged about it somewhere and I missed it.)