Wednesday, June 20, 2018

The FASTer Way to Fat Loss

I don't want to be one of those whiny women that complain about feeling fat and gross as she eats donuts, but if the shoe fits... {grin}

Within about 8 weeks of Paige's arrival, I was back to my pre-pregnancy weight - which was about 15 pounds heavier than I wanted to be - but that was largely due to my post-partum anxiety. I was so anxious I couldn't eat. Brent would bring home anything he thought might entice me to eat, but it would take me hours to force anything down. I don't recommend PPA as a weight loss plan since it is the worst experience I've had the pleasure of repeating 3 times, but it certainly took the weight off!

Unfortunately, when I started Zoloft, the side effects caused me to gain weight. I didn't really care when I first started gaining weight because I was so happy to feel better, but 30 pounds later, I wasn't happy anymore!

It's been 9 months since I realized how much weight I'd gained, and I fluctuate between having lost 10-15 pounds. That's IT. Yes, I'm happy to have lost weight, but I'm definitely NOT happy with my weight. 

Food, as always, is my problem.

I've been exercising at Orange Theory Fitness for about the same 9 months and jogging some at home. BUT bad food is my downfall. I honestly believe I know more than the average person about food and what is good for us and what is bad. I just have no ability to execute - I do not know how to teach myself moderation. Alcoholism runs in my dad's side of the family, and I think food, and really sugar, is my vice {and I don't say that in jest}.

All that to say...I've joined a 6-week program - this week is a prep week -  that combines:
  • intermittent fasting - I'll eat 8 hours in a 24-hour period
  • carb cycling - some days are low carb, some days are regular
  • macro counting - I've never done this before and hate tracking food, but I've heard once you get in a habit of it, it becomes really natural. And we're using the My Fitness Pal app which has been really user-friendly and easy so far
  • variety of exercise - some days are interval training, some are heavy weight days, all depending on the type of food day we're having - I do plan to continue with Orange Theory, so we'll see how that all works
Yesterday was my first day to follow the low-carb rules, and I didn't hit my categories for anything - too few carbs, too little fat, too little protein - but I know it's a learning curve, and I'll get there. I was really hungry at bedtime which is NOT supposed to be the norm, and I'm excited that there are only 2 low carb days - definitely makes it feel manageable. It's also cool because the creator talks a lot about how there are no foods that are off-limits. There are days you can't have things - like no/very little fruit on low carb days - but if you want a donut on a regular day, you can have it. The saying is 'if it fits my macros' ha. I'm hopeful that this is how I can finally learn balance...eek, time shall tell!

The program ends the day before my 38th birthday, and I hope to see really good results. And that I don't let my birthday derail me, ha! I will probably give an update at the halfway point and the end, so we shall see!


2 comments:

Emily said...

It’s so funny you write this because I’ve been drafting a similar weight loss blog post in my head! I too struggle very much with food. I love food. I love white carbs (sugar) and chocolate and any sort of snacks style food I can get. I’ve been tracking my eating in a food log for over 8 years now and just like you said, all the knowledge doesn’t mean it’s executed correctly. :) The only thing I’ll say is that I’ve never ever lost a substantial amount of weight without being hungry. Everyone everywhere says that’s not how it should be, but that’s how my body operates. I can eat the most nutrient-dense, wholesome foods out there but I’ll still go to bed at 10pm hAngry. Again, I know every expert says I’m doing it wrong, but it’s how I lose weight. Usually once I embrace the evening hunger (or worse, the 1am wake-up hunger!) I start to see real progress. Weight loss sucks! You can do it!

Kathryn Bagley said...

Excited for you! You can do it!!