Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Recipe: Breakfast Bake

I found this recipe from 100 Days of Real Food a few years ago and my dad started making it for our Christmas morning breakfast. I decided to make it as a freezer meal for after Paige was born because we love to have breakfast for dinner. It's a great meal to make ahead and freeze, it's nutritious, and it tastes yummy.


Ingredients:
-1 pound of breakfast sausage
-1 1/2 cups of frozen hashbrowns
-2 eggs
-1 1/2 - 2 cups of cheese {I use more because we love cheese!}
-1/2 cup whole wheat flour
-1 cup milk
-3/4 tsp baking powder
-salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Brown sausage. {The original recipe calls for chopped onions and bell peppers, cook those too if you like them - we don't, ha.}
3. Pour sausage into an 8x8 or 9x9 ungreased baking dish.
4. Stir in frozen hashbrowns and 3/4 cup - 1 cup of cheese into the sausage.
5. Mix together flour, baking powder, salt and pepper in a separate bowl. Add the cup of milk and 2 eggs. Whisk gently until all mixed together. Pour into baking dish.
6. Cover with remaining cheese.
7. Cook for 35-40 minutes until cheese is golden brown.
8. Enjoy!

I eat it with Chalula hot sauce sometimes, and that's amazing too!

2 comments:

Kathryn Bagley said...

I am a sucker for a breakfast casserole! Looks delish :)

Emily said...

Mmm this looks good but exactly how "eggy" is it? I despise the texture of eggs (so, for example, quiche is a no for me) but sometimes I find potato dishes (or in this case, hash browns), the egg becomes more glue than filling.