Tuesday, November 3, 2015

October Reads


My month started off really slow but in the last week I read 3 books. When I find what I like, I just can't stop reading! 



Second Life by S.J. Watson - I had high hopes for this book after reading S.J. Watson's debut novel, Before I Go to Sleep, with our book club. Well, I was sorely disappointed. I hated this book. HATED it. It's the story of a woman who starts a 'second life' in online chat rooms trying to discover who murdered her sister. The plot is ridiculous, the main character is hard to remotely like a little, it's just a mess. Skip this one, but make sure you read Before I Go to Sleep!

The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon - This was a short-story {well, short for Diana and the Outlander world - it was still over 500 pages} about a period of time in between part of the main Outlander storyline. It was a slow read but enjoyable if you love all things Outlander, and I do!

The Hypnotist's Love Story by Liane Moriarty - Another winner by Liane! I don't know how she gets so creative with each of her books, but I love the stories she weaves. The title says it all - it's about a woman who is a hypnotist and her journey to finding love - you know, all while her love is being stalked by his ex-girlfriend. A fun read but always with a good message and heart-warming throughout.

The Night Circus by Elin Morgenstern - November's book club pick! I don't think I can even accurately describe this book without making it sound ridiculous {two magicians in a lifelong battle of skill on the stage of a traveling circus...yup, sounds ridiculous}, but it wasn't. I LOVED it! 

The Last Anniversary by Liane Moriarty - I couldn't put this book down, but it's my last Liane Moriarty book. Sob! I have really enjoyed {REALLY ENJOYED} all of her books. The plot of this one was totally quirky - imagine your ex-boyfriend's great-aunt passing away and leaving you her house in your will and the house is on an island with about 10 residents who are all apart of the same family and descendants of an unsolved mystery going back over 70 years. I told you it was quirky! But oh so fun. I also love that for the most part her books aren't predictable - just when you think you've figured out what will happen to the heroine, the exact opposites happen.

So now that I'm out of Liane Moriarty books to read...anyone have some new suggestions? Allison and I are going to do the Fall/Winter Book Challenge, and that always helps me figure out new books to read, so I'm working on formulating my list for that!

3 comments:

Karen Peterson said...

I really need to start reading some Liane Moriarity. Every time I hear about one of her books, I think it sounds so good and I want to read it. And then I don't.

BG said...

Books are for prisoners

Kathryn Bagley said...

You know I love me a good Nicholas Sparks book!! He has a new book out that looks pretty good-See Me in some ways, is similar to The Guardian and Safe Haven, in that the novel evolves from a simple love story to a story with thriller-like elements. However, unlike the previous novels, See Me has more twists and turns; part of the fun of the novel is in trying to figure out what’s happening, and who the antagonist actually is. Also, the characters of See Me are very different – perhaps even more flawed – than characters in my previous novels.