Monday, October 5, 2015

September Reads {And Some I Forgot...}


September was actually a really slow month for me book-wise. I only read 2 books in September, but I remembered 2 I had read earlier this summer that I forgot to blog about, so at least this month isn't totally lame!


Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel - My book club buddy, Amy, lets me share her online library membership, and she had this one checked out and told me it was supposed to be good, so I decided to try it. And it was SO good. I love having friends with different tastes than me, it really helps me read outside my favorite genres {ahem chick lit and romance}. This book is hard to describe, but it jumps in time to different periods in time before and after a flu epidemic that wipes out the majority of the world's population and focuses on a few situations and how they impact the rest of the story. Very riveting and enjoyable - a little sci-fi, a little mystery, a lot of good story-telling!

Three Wishes by Liane Moriarty - My 4th {of 6} of Liane's books. This one was my least favorite of her books so far, but even her worst is still a good read. This one was about the intertwining lives of triplets. One has a 'perfect' life {or does she?}, one can't find love because she is hung-up on the death of her 'perfect' fiance {or was he?}, and the 3rd finds out something shocking about her 'perfect' marriage {or was it?}. My biggest issue was that it took me a while to remember which triplet was which so it was hard for me to engage in the story at first.

Whole 30 by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig - My friend, Veronica, who did Whole 30 before me {and was the reason I decided to do it, her enthusiasm was too catching} recommended I get the book. I'm really glad I did, but I don't think you HAVE to if you want to try Whole 30. I would say most of the information can be found on the Whole 30 website {rules, etc}, but a lot of the WHY is expanded upon in the book. The book also comes with a lot of recipes, some of which I tried, but again, I also used Pinterest a lot, so you don't NEED the book.

The Matchmaker by Elin Hilderbrand - This was a recommendation by a blogger I read and my first book to read by Elin. It was good if not great - a little too mushy and at the same time not what I expected {I was expecting a little more lightness but it got deep at the end}. I don't think I'll rush out to read more of her books, but they'll be great fill-ins if I don't have something else in mind.

What did you read this month? Anything I should try?

2 comments:

Kathryn Bagley said...

I wish I could contribute to your collection but I haven't read anything! I will start something and then just don't have time to finish it..and then will start something else :/ this includes tv shows also!!

Karen Peterson said...

I started yet another book that I haven't finished yet. Jenny Lawson's new book, Furiously Happy. I love it, I just don't take time to read.