Friday, June 19, 2015

Summer Schedule

We're in uncharted waters this summer having a nanny for the kids. I love so many things about it, but it's definitely created some challenges.

Our first week with the nanny went pretty good. She's so sweet and patient with the kids. And she is super artistic. There have been lots of pretty cool drawings and paintings they've all done together. And she loves to read which is great for both kids. 

But here's what we learned our first week:

  • Since I work from home, the kids want to 'visit' me a lot. It's super cute and I love having so much access to them during the day, but it's hard when they try to come in when I'm on a conference call.
  • Working {outside the home} moms don't have nearly the level of activities and toys {I think} as SAHMs. We just don't have as many hours in the day to fill! When I look at my sister's playroom and backyard, it's night and day.
  • We've never really had a schedule at home {see SAHM scenario above}, but the kids are used to structure during the day at school.
I spent a lot of time last week {when she had a pre-planned trip} doing research. We bought a lot of 'stuff' at Dollar Tree for more arts and crafts and busywork. I created a schedule for the day {9:00 - 10:00 outside time, 10:30 snack...super detailed!}. We're making a red/green stoplight so the kids know when they can come visit me and when they can't. I have pinned a million craft ideas on Pinterest for projects. I have a book called Unplugged Play with lots of good activities for the kids. So hopefully we'll iron out these kinks and have a great summer!

If anyone has ideas for things for the kids to do, I'd love to hear them!


4 comments:

Melissa said...

It's hard, especially when it gets so hot by 9am! Walmart has a big pool for $15, not cute, but you can toss it when done. Fingerprint, play doh, obstacle course in living room, water balloons, jump street, hop in happy, Bahama bucks (sno cones). That pretty much sums up our summer;)

katie@tulsadetails said...

My sister stays at home too and I've often wondered if that's why her kids have so many toys! I can so see why! But am glad to know I'm not the only one with a playroom with not as much. (Besides clutter drives me nuts!) One thing Emmy loves to do is take a spray bottle full of water and clean things. Ha! Not much of a time killer, but works for her outside when she wants to play something!

Karen Peterson said...

That stoplight sounds like a really good idea.

I know it's going to be weird getting used to the new schedule, but it sounds like the nanny is perfect for your kiddos!

Kathryn Bagley said...

Love the stoplight idea!!