Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Recipe: Oven Baked Chicken Tacos

As I work on cooking more for our family, I peruse blogs daily trying to develop a decent 'catalog' to pull from for meal planning. I'm creating a word doc with links to all the recipes we deem worth repeating. {I need to get rid of all my dusty, unused cookbooks because I never, EVER pull them out!}

This recipe was one I found awhile back and promptly decided to make, and I'm happy to say it is staying in our rotation!


Ingredients:

  • 1-1 1/2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breast
  • 1 package taco seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 tablespoon chopped Cilantro
  • 1/2 squeezed lime
  • 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
  • 1 can refried beans
  • shredded cheese
  • taco shells
  • your favorite toppings for Mexican food (salsa, guac, sour cream, etc.)
Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Boil chicken and shred.
  3. In a skillet combine shredded chicken, taco seasoning, cumin, cilantro, lime juice, tomato sauce and refried beans. Mix well and heat ingredients thoroughly.
  4. In a 9X13 arrange taco shells so they are standing. 
  5. Add chicken mixture to each shell.
  6. Top with shredded cheese.
  7. Bake 10-12 minutes.
  8. Top with your favorite garnishes and enjoy.
Notes: I don't think these held up well the next day, so I think next time I'll reserve half the mixture to make a fresh batch for another meal.  I'm curious if the mixture would freeze or not because, really, who needs 18 tacos?


1 comments:

KristenW said...

Those look amazing!!