Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Book Review: The Best of Me

I read a Nicholas Sparks book this weekend.  I haven't read too many of his books, but I usually like what I read...



PlotThe Best of Me is the heart-rending story of two small-town former high school sweethearts from opposite sides of the tracks. Now middle-aged, they’ve taken wildly divergent paths, but neither has lived the life they imagined . . . and neither can forget the passionate first love that forever altered their world. When they are both called back to their hometown for the funeral of the mentor who once gave them shelter, they will be forced to confront the choices each has made, and ask whether love can truly rewrite the past. {image and plot via}


Review: I had mixed feelings about this book.  It went in a totally different direction than I thought when I started the book and had a few themes that I don't normally see/relate to a Nicholas Sparks book.  It was a little darker IMO.  Violence, drugs, child abuse, ghosts...  I also feel like you almost have to expect to cry when reading one of his books, right?  Well, there was actually some child loss in the story.  That I couldn't handle more than any other part.  It is my absolute biggest fear in the whole world, and reading about it was not fun.  I was reading in bed with Brent asleep next to me just hoping he couldn't hear my crying.  So would I recommend the book?  Yes.  Do I want you to be prepared before you read it?  Yes.


So have I made it seem worth reading at all?  I'm not so sure...{grin}.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reading The Lucky One now & you know The Notebook is one of my faves. Those are the only books of his that I've read. I'll have to check this one out - maybe :) - Allison

Kelly said...

I am not usually a big Nicholas Sparks fan but I have heard really good things about this book.

Karen M. Peterson said...

I have never read a single book by Nicholas Sparks. I'm guessing this isn't the best one to start with.