Monday, February 20, 2012

Oh What a Night!

Whew.  This is one for the record books.  We had to take T to the ER tonight.  He has started sitting for meals in a chair at the table and not in his booster seat.  He enjoys it and mostly obeys us to sit down.  Well. Tonight I had set his plate on the table and he got up there, and I turned to go fix my plate when all of the sudden I hear screaming.  I turn around to see my little guy on the floor.  I rush over, pick him up and then, notice the blood.  All the blood.  Pouring out of my little guy's mouth.  I called for Brent and rush to our bathroom.  We assess that there may be loose teeth (I thought so, B did not), and I decided I wanted to go to the emergency room.  Brent thought it wasn't necessary but indulged me.  I think he knew not to argue with me right then.  By this point, my shirt had more blood on it than Trent, and he was starting to get upset at how I looked, so I changed shirts, and we hopped in the truck.  So thankful that a new ER opened up literally a mile from our house.  By the time we got there, T was really only whimpering, and the bleeding had mostly stopped.  We could see a big bump on his chin and several cuts on his lip.  We got a room, and the nurse came in to assess T pretty quickly.  He was such a trooper and so brave!  He did great for the nurse and doctor; we are so proud.  Turns out he does not have any loose teeth (point - Brent), just lots of bruising and cuts.  Cuts aren't quite big enough for stitches (another Thank God) as the doctor said they would have needed to sedate him to do.  So treatment plan is soft foods (nothing salty), Ibuprofen and 1 dose of vanilla milkshake.  He also got all the Little Bear he could want.  His usually anal mother, about the amount of TV he watches and sugar he ingests, took a holiday.  We thought this might be our chance to wean him from his night-night (pacifier) but no dice.  He sucked it, took it out, ran his tongue over his mouth, said it hurt and stuck it right back in.  I guess the comfort of it outweighed the discomfort.  Ha!  Such a little stinker.  He is such a rough-and-tumble kid, I imagine we'll be back in the ER plenty of times - I just honestly thought it wouldn't be quite this early.  So thankful tonight for a healthy child, a loving and patient husband who knew when not to argue, quick medical care, and excellent health insurance.  Oh what a night!  {I loved this post title as T is such a big Frankie Valli fan!}

7 comments:

the blogivers said...

Glad he is ok! ER trips are the worst... but it's always better when they end well :)

Anonymous said...

Doctor: Trent, can you tell me what hurts?

Trent: Ummmm, my tounge.

- B

Anonymous said...

So glad that there was no real damage. What a big boy Trent is! -Allison

KristenW said...

So glad he is ok. I see many more of these in your future:)

Kelly said...

YIKES!!! Poor Trent! Glad it wasn't too serious!

Heather said...

I know that was scary. Mouth injuries always bleed a lot so its hard to tell if they are really hurt. It's better to be safe than sorry! Glad he is ok!

Karen M. Peterson said...

I remember taking several trips to the ER in my younger days!

I'm glad everything turned out okay, but yikes! That must have been so scary!