Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Monthly Musings: Fall/Hallowe'en Fun

 I can't believe October is here. I love the lead-up to the holidays, and we're HERE!!!

1. Favorite fall traditions - I try to get us to a pumpkin patch or fall festival if I can make it happen, but lately only the girls are interested.



One tradition I had {but can't do anymore} was having each of the kids wear a jack-o-lantern Halloween costume my mother-in-law made for her niece in the 80s. 

~ 2009 ~ 2013 ~ 2018 ~

For fun, Paige put it back on a few weeks ago, ha!

2. How do you celebrate Halloween? - We go around our neighborhood with our friends to trick or treat. Nothing out of control - an hour or so and the kids get a ton of candy and we go home! Halloween is on a Tuesday this year, and school is going to come super early the next morning, ugh. But it's certainly fun to be with our 'crew' any chance we can get!


3. Favorite fall recipes - HAHAHAHA - as if I would have any recipes to share! I do enjoy a good pumpkin bread {Drew made some in the summer with the babysitter, and it was so good!}.

4. Favorite fall fashion pieces - I can't really think of much - it doesn't really feel like fall for much time, so I still wear most of my summer clothes throughout fall. But I do love a good themed shirt and have a few fall ones. Does that count? I'm getting almost as many as my Christmas collection, ha.



5. How do you decorate for fall? - 

In September, I put out allll the pumpkins! I can't help myself and continue to buy more, so I constantly have to find new places for the pumpkins.



Then, in October, I add some Halloween stuff - the pumpkins stay out and remain the biggest portion of my decorating but I do love adding in the Halloween stuff for October.

I love being able to decorate the piano!!

In November, I do a tiny bit of Thanksgiving specific stuff - I feel a little weird about this holiday know how terribly our ancestors treated the indigenous Americans. Plus, I usually decorate for Christmas before Thanksgiving, so I don't put out a ton of Thanksgiving-focused items.

6. Pumpkin spice? Oh yes or over it? - What's the 'it doesn't bother me, but I don't seek it out' answer? That's how I feel, ha. I have been adding a pump of pumpkin spice to my chai, and that is yummy!

7. Thoughts on candy corn? - I like to mix it with peanuts, that combo tastes like a Pay Day candy bar. Other than that, it doesn't appeal to me. I'll choose chocolate or sugar candy any day.

8. Favorite fall/Halloween movie? - I guess I would have to say the Garfield Halloween special I watched every year as a kid with my sister? I can't really think of any 'fall' movies?


9. Apple pie, pumpkin pie, or cider donut? - I'm not a huge pie person - I'll pick cake every time - but out of these choices, I'll go with apple pie. I do LOVE my mother-in-law's chocolate pie AND pumpkin roll. I will make myself happily sick at Thanksgiving for those!


10. Bonfire, hayride, or haunted house? - I don't like to be scared, so I'll pick a bonfire or hayride.

Neighborhood hay ride a few years ago


0 comments: