Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Monthly Musings: Thanksgiving Prep

 I never get these Monthly Musings done in time to link up, but I think they are so fun, so I do them anyway.

1. Do you host Thanksgiving or go elsewhere?

We go somewhere! On Thanksgiving day, we typically go to Brent's parents' house with his brother's family, and on the Saturday after Thanksgiving we go to my parents' house where we celebrate Thanksgiving with my mom's extended family {her siblings, their kids, and grandkids} and also celebrate my sister and dad's birthday!
Thanksgiving 2021 at Brent's parents' house

9/12 first cousins at my parents'

2. What dishes do you make or contribute?

For both places, I always bring something, but it varies. Whatever is needed! Appetizers, side dishes, desserts, whatever!

3. What is your favorite Thanksgiving recipe and will you share with us?

One dessert I LOVE is pumpkin roll. We used to go to Brent's Nannie's house and his Aunt Vicki would bring it every year. I sorely missed it when we switched to go to Brent's parents' house and last year his mom and I figured out how to make it.

She might not be pretty, but she is DELICIOUS.

4. What are your Thanksgiving traditions?

I would say besides being together on those days, we don't really have any?

5. Stuffing or dressing?

If I understand the definitions correctly {stuffing is inside the turkey}, we eat dressing. I would say I enjoy the dressing with Brent's family, but it isn't something I LOVE. The Thanksgiving day meal is Brent's favorite meal all year long and he LOVES dressing. We don't even make it at my parents'. I think we used to have it at my grandparents' as a kid {on my mom's side} but don't remember ever eating it, and we didn't eat it at my Granny's {dad's mom}. I literally never ate it until meeting Brent.

6. Pumpkin, pecan, or apple pie?

Curve ball - CHOCOLATE PIE!!!! If I had to pick, I'd choose apple pie, but I don't seek it out. But chocolate pie is MY JAM. Another thing I didn't have before meeting his Brent, but one of his other aunts, Sandy, used to always bring, and now my mother-in-law makes.

Last year's deliciousness of chocolate pie, pumpkin roll, and champagne!

7. Casual dining or set the table?

At Brent's parents' we set the table and eat together at a sit down meal but we don't dress fancy or anything like that. At my parents' it is 100% casual. There are too many people in my parents' pretty small house to ever try to sit together. But the same was true for my grandparents' house, so we all just eat wherever we can find a seat.

8. Favorite beverages to serve with Thanksgiving dinner?

I'm just going to say alcohol ha. I love a good cocktail with my Thanksgiving dinner, but what cocktail that is doesn't matter!

9. Do you shop Black Friday?

Nope! I've never gone shopping on Black Friday. I really hope to be pretty far into my shopping by then to where it's not necessary. For the 2nd week of November, I've got gifts for my parents, my goddaughter, and ideas for my niece/nephews. Still a long way to go, but I love that I've started!

10. Holiday movie or football games?

Football is king in Texas, so there is definitely football on, but I don't watch any of it. All of our families are Dallas Cowboys fans, and they have a Thanksgiving Day game, so that is the game of choice. Then at my parents', the Aggies will be on the TV - since we've left the Big 12 and don't play Texas, we now play LSU.


3 comments:

Jinjer-The Intrepid Angeleno said...

Wow those desserts look GOOD!!! And I love the plate that they're on. If those plates are used this year, please try to remember to look at the back of one and tell us what pattern it is, wouldja? LOL

Kathryn Bagley said...

and how about Texas joining the SEC?? errrybody wants to come to the best side..lol!! and it was a HUGE victory against Bama when LSU won!! i dont even like or watch football but felt that was important to mention! Oh I love all things pumpkin flavor!!

Emily said...

Do you like having multiple Thanksgiving? This year Adam's family's Thanksgiving was canceled because of sicknesses, and honestly I loved just having one big meal and done. (I probably loved it because we still had MY family; I'm sure I'd be devastated if mine was canceled). I just don't love the overload!