Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Movie Review: Moonrise Kingdom

Allison and I hit up 'Moonrise Kingdom' this weekend in celebration of our joint birthday month and 25 years of friendship!


PlotA pair of young lovers flee their New England town, which causes a local search party to fan out and find them.

Review: If you've ever seen a Wes Anderson movie, you kind of know what you're getting into, and 'Moonrise Kingdom' fit the bill.  VERY quirky to say the least.  Allison and I both enjoyed it a lot, and I probably liked it the best of his films.  I thought about it and realized most of his movies revolve around very depressed/disillusioned adults while this centered around 2 young kids in love.  All the adults around them were depressed/disillusioned...but the kids weren't.  I go to the movies to escape the sadness of real life, so I don't typically want to watch sad people.  So, to me, this was a way better Wes Anderson film and worth seeing.  I've heard Oscar buzz already for this film, and that wouldn't surprise me, but I wasn't THAT blown away by it...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thumbs up. Felt like I never really 'got' his films in the past so may have to watch them again. - Allison

Unknown said...

I’m excited to see Moonrise Kingdom, it sounds like such a good movie. I’m glad to hear Wes Anderson has delivered his triumph. I’m intrigued to see photography so beautiful that it reminds me of a childhood dream. I love and watch plenty of movies on my frequent business trips for DISH. I use Blockbuster @Home simply because DVD’s of new releases are available faster than other services. I always love being able to work and follow my passion for movies at the same time on my routine trips. I have to admit that I am a huge Edward Norton fan, so I’m happy to see that he’s in such a delightful sounding movie.