Wednesday, October 5, 2016

September 2016 Reads


It's book time! I had a good mix of books for September and can't wait to share them with you!



The Hating Game by Sally Thorne - I saw this one recommended on another blog and it sounded fun, so I actually BOUGHT IT. And it was super fun! It's about 2 co-workers who HATE each other...or do they? It was definitely a romance novel {I thought it would be more chick-lit}, but I liked the story and the characters and by the end it actually had a little more story than I thought it would. Might have been my favorite of the month!

Finding Fraser by KC Dyer - I've seen this one thrown about in relation to anything Outlander, so I knew I would eventually read it. It's about a girl who moves to Scotland on a whim to try and find her Jamie Fraser. I would say it was good but not great. The story got a little tedious in the middle, and I didn't love the main character, but by the end I was glad to have read it.

The Vaccine Friendly Plan by Paul Thomas, MD - You guys know I am always trying to be as educated as possible when it comes to making decisions about my kids' health. With Smoochie on the way, I was really curious to read this new book that was getting a lot of buzz, and I'm so glad I did! I learned a few new things, but mostly it reinforced what has been my stance for years. It was nice to find that reinforcement as you navigate a REALLY touchy subject for a lot of people. I would recommend for ANY mother, no matter what your opinions are, to do some research and not just do something because your doctor says it's right. There is new information that comes out all the time!

The Memory Closet by Ninie Hammon - This was our book club selection for the first book club meeting I have EVER missed. {Having a mother-in-law who just had a surgery and a father in isolation in the hospital makes getting a babysitter a bit of a challenge.} It was a suspense/thriller about a girl who has no memory of her childhood before standing outside a blazing car fire that killed her little sister. Haunted by this lack of memories, she goes home to her grandmother's house where she lived as a child hoping to break through the barriers of her memory. This was a good one! It was creepy, suspenseful, sad {more sad than I expected}...lots of emotions. I never came close to guessing the ending and that is the best kind of thriller to me!


The 6th Target & 7th Heaven by James Patterson - 2 more Women's Murder Club mysteries. They are light and fun {if solving homicides can be called light and fun}, and I enjoy reading about Lindsay and her friends as they continue to solve crazy homicides in San Fran. If you don't want to think too hard, I think these are good ones to pick up.

The Paris Architect by Charles Belfoure - This is my other toss-up for favorite book of the month. It's another 'WW2 set in Europe' book {I'm amassing quite a collection of these} about an architect in Paris {I bet you'd never have guessed that based on the title} who begins building hiding places for Jews. This book was SO great. The main character was not very likeable at first, and it was amazing watching his progression from reluctant helper to true hero and seeing his mindset change. It was filled with intrigue, suspense, love, social impact, and human growth. Loved, loved, loved this one!

One Plus One by JoJo Moyes - After reading Me Before You and After You, I knew I'd want to read more by JoJo Moyes. One Plus One is a tale of an almost down-and-out single mom, Jess, and an almost rock-bottom businessman who come together to get Jess' math prodigy daughter to a math competition that could change her life. Accidents and hilarity ensue. Me Before You was an overall better book, but this one was still a very good book, and I loved getting to know this quirky family.

October is already looking to be a fun month - I've got Liane Moriarty's new book in my hands and several on the library waiting list that should be mine after months of waiting! Can't wait...happy reading!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just reserved The Paris Architect at the library. I'll let you know... -AP

Kathryn Bagley said...

My book this month is How to be a good wife-at first I was like ugh! but then when I read the summary it's a thriller..ha! So we shall see how it turns out!!

Emily said...

Just added "The Hating Game" and "The Paris Architect" to my book list. I'm still re-reading Harry Potter (and loving it!) but good to have books for when I'm done. I just cleansed my library site booklist. I've had so many horrible books lately and I know I like the books you like, so I decided to delete the vast majority of books recommended by other sources (many of which were "best books of 2016" which were HORRIBLE).